British Lung Foundation

14 years of COPD and still going.

Many posts from people just diagnosed with COPD and are obviously worried.

Well it is a life changer but as there is no cure only various treatments so after 14 years of COPD I have found best way to deal with it was to embrace the changes it brings and carry on pushing to do a little bit more each day..

Stay as fit as one can and continue to look forward.

Learn to LIVE with COPD not SUFFER from it.

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Very good advice, many thanks. Pete

thankyou, am definitely taking this advice !

Thank you Pete - this will give comfort to a lot of fellow sufferers and emphasises the value of this website.

Bill

1 like

Very good advice. I was diagnosed mild 9 years ago and haven't progressed at all thankfully. x

1 like

Important point Lance. I never ever refer to myself as a 'sufferer' of copd. I know it's a standard phrase but for me it feels far too victimy and machochistic. Like you, I 'live with' as opposed to 'suffering' copd. Language is important and can tailor how we define what is going on in our lives and this works for me.

7 likes

Good advice!!!

That's great advice thanks Pete I have severe copd since2011 and hope to go a long way yet although on oxygen now but it helps and I just get on with it take it as it comes one day at time

3 likes

Hi Lance47

Your post has really cheered me up

Thanks

Music

1 like

Good advice best to stay positive as well just get on with it look at it this why theres always someone worse off than yourself.

I agree I was diagnosed in 2003 and still going,just a little slower.

1 like

Snap ,14 years for me now. although i started at moderate, i have been promoted to severe the last 4 years

1 like

I think this is where it confuses people. Consultants/GP's appear to be telling people their COPD won't progress if they do the right things, yet everything you read says otherwise.

1 like

Totally agree and thanks for your comments.

You may also like...