Foreign carer


An off the wall question lol:

My partner lives abroad, and I have read on the Government site that he could be my carer. I fit all the necessary requirements but does anyone have a scooby as to how I go about it? I couldn't find the answer online.

15 Replies


I believe you have been misinformed.

All the information you require and claims form can be found at.

How have I been misinformed? It is on the government website 😦



You might be able to claim carers allowance if.

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years

If you read each part of the link provided you will able to decide for you self whether you meet the criteria.

The form to apply is included

Thank you

In order to claim carers allowance your partner would need to be able to provide care for you at least 35 hours a week. I don't see how he could do that if he lives abroad?

I meant for him to shift to the UK to be with me. It is possible but don't know where to start

Obviously people are taking this as a joke. I am serious. He CAN come to live in the UK to be my carer but don't know where to start. I was hoping there would be a slight chance someone would know

If you read the link stone-UK provided you will see that the full eligibility criteria for your partner are:

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

you’re 16 or over

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)

you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces

you’re not in full-time education

you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more

you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply

you’re not subject to immigration control

You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland.

Yes I have read all this thank you

Youve got to be kidding, if he lives abroad , how can he care for you .

Well I just don't know

Perhaps if you moved to the country your partner lives in you could try and claim benefits from their national health service?

Hi Revaux. I think your question was just sounded as if your partner intended claiming carer's allowance from wherever he's living now, which obviously would prevent him caring for you here in the UK. Now you've explained that he'd be moving to the UK. But it seems he might not qualify unless he's lived here for 2 out of the last 3 years. Also carer's allowance isn't very much, certainly not enough to live on. You could contact, I'm sure they'd have all the answers.

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much. I read on that my income has to be a certain amount, that we fit in the home and can manage on that income and he must not claim any benefit. He was here for 6months and we coped fine. I contacted an immigration solicitor who said that is not right and that any one person only gets 6 months care ....

Thanks again

You may also like...