British Lung Foundation

Breathing exercises help asthma patients with quality of life

A study led by the University of Southampton has found that people who continue to get problems from their asthma, despite receiving standard treatment, experience an improved quality of life when they are taught breathing exercises. The majority of asthma patients have some degree of impaired quality of life.

southampton.ac.uk/news/2017...

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi

Watched the videos.

A slight contradiction.

For COPD They say pursed lip breathing, in through the nose out through the mouth. With diaphragm breathing.

For Asthma They say in and out through the nose. with diaphragm breathing.

Question for BLF is there two distinctive breathing methods.

Or can you use either?

2 likes

Pursed lip breathing creates a slight back pressure which helps prevent the lungs having the "wrinkling" effect caused by the loss of elasticity with copd, this eliminates a lot of the air trapping which in turn can cause co2 retention.

3 likes

I believe that there are members on here who have asthma and who practice the nasal breathing which can cause CO2 retention in COPD patients. A quick call to the helpline should clarify it for you.

3 likes

I remember, whilst at PR a year ago, a member of the study group getting involved with our PR group to see if any of the copd exercises could be adapted for asthma, breathing exercises was one of things he took special interest in.

I have asthma/ COPD , but I find the pursed lip breathing fine for a few breaths when I need it, and then try to nose breathe with relaxed diaphragm the rest of the time.......gentle belly breathing .

Breathing in deeply in and out through my mouth makes my asthma symptoms worse.....if I am doing something and find I need to breathe through my mouth , I stop, rest, gain control of my breathing and then carry on nose breathing. But I always carry my inhaler and use it when needed.

2 likes

2greys

Hello, In addition to educated breathing exercises one can aid this by using a device called Power breathe, I think available from Amazon. This device can be adjusted to different breathing levels and importantly if used in conjunction with other breathing exercises can improve the overall lung function.

IKeith

You may also like...