British Lung Foundation
39,574 members46,391 posts

Inhaled Thyroid Hormone May Work to Reverse Lung Fibrosis, Early Study Reports.

A study led by researchers at Yale School of Medicine showed that an inhalation treatment based on thyroid hormone can significantly reverse lung scarring (fibrosis) in mice models of pulmonary fibrosis and in cultured human airway cells.

lungdiseasenews.com/2017/12...

14 Replies
oldestnewest

I told my GF that all the time but would not have it. :O

May I respectfully suggest you go to New Haven, Connecticut and teach the Yale School of Medicine research team just how you arrived at your own conclusions in advance of them and also describe your method for doing so.

This is a piece of serious research into a really nasty, fatal disease and you are doing yourself no favours by deriding it or the poor souls who suffer with it, walk a mile in their shoes first, before treating it as a joking matter please. If you want to try to be humorous then please start your own thread.

5 likes

Who said i was treating it as a joke.

Sadley am no Sciantest but if i was all opions would be on the table.

Great thing about internet and post like yours we all contribute to advances in sciance.

Most advances are made by mistake or thinking out of the box

Your flippant one liner said it all.

1 like

You need to be tad more constructive in your criticism after all we could all post stuff MIGHT want to think about next post if don't like debate or thinking out of the box

:D

1 like

Wow ...hopeful..

1 like

Yes really hopeful and a major advance to treating Pulmonary Fibrosis even if it only halts the advancement.

2 likes

One step backwards one step forwards

Makes a pleasant change to hear some good news on Ipf research,likewise for Bronchiectasis. both for to long orphans in research on lung diseases.

3 likes

There is one smallish study suggesting a link between thyroid loss and IPF progression so makes sense (disease tends to progress faster in people with no thyroid). I had Hashimotos which destroyed my thyroid between 2004-2010 when it was finally detected. Been on throxine since. Obviously impossible to say if that caused my IPF but always a possibility that its made me more susceptible to this disease.

Hi, can you forward me details of the study you mention? I had my thyroid removed due to cancer 3 months ago and have been breathless ever since. My dad, aunt and grandad all had PF so I am interested in doing all I can to stay free.. I am only 51 but talking to medical "experts" is a waste of time. Thank you 😀

Here is the study

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

I would not be too worried about the possibility that the thyroid removal has triggered ipf. The study I mentioned was looking at people who had thyroids lost or removed up to decades before IPF and if thyroid removal caused IPF then this would well documented by now.

I would class this study and the inhlaed thyroxine studies as very much the strting point of showing any relationship or relevance of thyroid hormone in IPF. There are probably thousands of one off articles that link a target to a disease and never pan out.

Have you mentioned the famlial side to a lung doctor ?. There are now some well known inherited forms of IPF and there might be tests that could be done.

This article has some info

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

Hi... Thanks for that, I spoke to a nurse from the British Lung Foundation who advised me to get a Lung Function Test (peak flow etc) so if I was to develop PF they have a comparison to go by, also get regular checks to listen for the "velcro crackle" noise. My dad, aunt and grandad all had pf so there is a genetic link somewhere.

You may also like...