British Lung Foundation
35,937 members43,231 posts

Dehumidifiers

I live in a block that was evacuated during the summer and they are in the process of removing the cladding from our building now. It was already damp and mould and condensation were problematic. This has become much worse. My walls are running water and the mould the maintenance crew removed last week is already back. I have bought a dehumidifier and it should be delivered any minute. I got a powerful one designed for use in the U.K. It was £230 but I hope to get that back from

Camden.

However, I have seen conflicting information regarding their use and wondered if anyone uses one, does it help or are COPD symptoms worse? I do need to get rid of the wet and mould so feel there's no choice apart from this or ask for a transfer (not easy when about 500 people who are stressed from the evacuation want that too).

7 Replies
oldestnewest

The problem is that we are all different as far as humidity is concerned, me I do not like high humidity at all.

The biggest issue is the mould and the spores. But there is a possible solution to that.

When I was a child we used to grow mushrooms in a shed, the conditions were perfect for mould and other unwanted fungi. Before a new batch was started we "sterilised" the whole shed using a solution of copper sulphate that is a poison to many plants and fungi. Whether you can still buy copper sulphate nowadays I don't know. Just an idea to paint it on the affected walls to stop it in it's tracks.

3 likes
Reply

Thanks. I'll look into that. It's well worth a try.

Reply

There are no fumes with copper sulphate and no smell either 😊

1 like
Reply

In my opinion a dehumidifier is an excellent idea for a dwelling such as yours. You really need to get all that wetness out of your walls, it'll only get worse as it gets colder. A few years ago I'd had a leaking pipe inside the bathroom wall, I had no idea as it was behind the tiles & I rarely went inside the room on the other side, when I did the water was actually coming down the wall like tears. The insurers supplied an industrial dehumidifier, I was staggered as to how much water collected over the few weeks it was on 24/7. Now U.S. The time spores break away and spread like mad.

My daughter has one in a room with North facing corner, it's freezing, a couple of litres a day is collected.

Good luck. Peege

1 like
Reply

Do not be tempted to close off ventilation,your dehumidifier will remove some excess moisture but ensure you have adequate ventilation to minimise condensation,probably the cause of moisture in the first place?..........regards skis and scruffy

2 likes
Reply

That's the problem in a nutshell. Very bad ventilation. We have some open but we can't leave too many. They are removing cladding and we aren't allowed to open the windows. If u leave the ventilators open they let in a gale. Badly designed as these buildings created a wind tunnel effect. Then it's freezing. And noisy. It's a case of open in the day if possible and close at night. We would freeze or have to leave heating on full blast if we opened them at night.

1 like
Reply

Thanks. I have it on now. The tank is filling up and that's after just a couple of hours! The condensation on the windows is noticeably much less already too. This is at the smart mode setting which I have to run it at for at least 24 hours before putting it on Max. That's only cos it's new. Appears to be doing a good job and I feel that all that damp and mould is more of a threat to me than dry air - which can easily be recctified in here! Thanks for getting back to me. It's given me a bit more confidence about my decision to get one.

5 likes
Reply

You may also like...