British Lung Foundation
39,581 members46,395 posts

Essential oils for COPD

Hi

My mum has COPD, probably down to her having an autoimmune disease firstly.

I want to know how I can try to stop it from getting worse, she has said her coughing is now starting to scare her.

Has anyone tried any essential oils in treating this and if they work?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, it's a bit tricky with essential oils. I can only say that when I lived in London the lady I went to for sore neck & shoulders new about my lung health so always added Rosemary to the oil she used for my massages.

I would look it up though, see what Dr Google has to offer

3 likes

Just done that. They aren't essential, just concentrated. And there are no proven health benefits, it is just a massive marketing exercise. They won't do any harm either, probably, so if you like the smell buy it.

I always find that rosemary helps too. The lady I go to adds it to the blend she uses too.

Yes I find a mix of eucalptus and lavendar at night in a diffuser is great.

1 like

Oregano oil is a natural antibiotic, antiviral, antiseptic and antiparasitic. It must be diluted to be taken internally (few drops in water etc). When my son was ill in France the pharmacist gave him capsules of this oil and he felt better within a couple if days. Definitely worth a try x

1 like

Placebos work well. The problem is there is no evidence it does anything despite what the sellers claim. sciencebasedmedicine.org/oi...

some essentials and absolutes contain alkaloids and substances that certainly have proven effects, some good, some bad, and certainly varied.

I have been suing essential oils every night on the souls of my feet and find it has helped me sleep much better which in turn helps me cope during the day. I use predominantly Eucalyptus and Lemon and Lemon Grass but others as recommended by my Aromatherapy lady locally. Perhaps the placebo effect but whatever I do feel they help as with meditation and what exercise I am capable of, which is not a lot these days. Give it a try but find someone qualified in these matters. It makes your feet feel good and smells great!!

1 like

You may also like...