British Lung Foundation
35,455 members42,823 posts

phlegm problem

I was told i have have emphysema changes over 12 months and stopped smoking 8 months ago, i had no phlegm after stopping for over 6 months, but now for the last 2 weeks every affternoon my throat goes froggy and i cough and phlegm comes up not loads and it's yellow greenish ? not sure if it's my acid reflux because that does drive my throat mad or just from stopping and it's took to time to start to clear. So thought i would ask here to see if anyone else as had this problem.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi i don't think it's an infection. My throats been doing this for over 12 months but i only use to get a tiny bit of muchus but the last few weeks it's been a bit more. Now you mention water i use to drink a bottle everyday but not had one for a while now perhaps it's that

PS and i only get it once a day in the affternoon

Hi I agree. it sounds like you have an infection so make sure you see your doctor as you might need ab's and/or steroids. You have to take care of your lungs as any infection can further damage them.

2 likes

Hi i don't think it is and i had some antibiotics last week for another problem only took 2 made me bad, i am not very good with tablets and get Allergie to most.

PS and i only get it once a day in the affternoon

You need to take a course of ab's to feel the effect. Every ab is different and because one made you feel bad doesn't mean another one will.

But it's up to you of course.

1 like

Yes i know but the i have had 2 lot's now for this other problem and had Allergie to them both. Plus other tablets like statins i had to stop and fix the problem myself because tablets don't agree with me.

Ok.

Andy56

If the mucus has green in it, it may be an infection, get and see your GP pronto. I too have the dreaded emphysema disease, my mucus is regular especially in the mornings/evenings but to a large extent is encouraged by a Carbocisteine medication which is designed to loosen it. Giving up the cigs could be a delayed reaction, I have been told at my rehab course that it could take between 2 & 5 years before you really feel the benefits, long way to go yet then.

IKeith

1 like

Thanks i don't think it's an infection to be honest, i think it's from either stopping smoking or my acid reflux.

Just changed my tablets for acid reflux so they might work better will see.

You may also like...