British Lung Foundation
36,050 members43,332 posts

Aero chamber cleaning

Does anyone have any helpful advice for cleaning their aero chamber plus?

I am finding soapy water isn't really doing the job, and the fact that I need it for the next day means I can't really leave it soaking for too long.

Plus the fact that ive been naughty and haven't cleaned it for a while, so it's quite bad.

I've gone at it with a toothbrush but it didn't help that much.

Any help would be appreciated.

16 Replies
oldestnewest

I wipe mine with bacterial wipes ,don't know if I'm supposed too,but keeps it clean

1 like

Hi

Rolled up dish cloth, rotate into the chamber to clean.good rinse allow to air dry.

It's the drying method that's stops the build of static not the cleaning.

3 likes

apparently they say not to rinse now. I was surpised. [I use portion of a j cloth and a spoon or knife to rub the cloth around]

1 like

Mine was quite bad, the chemist advised that after a while ,despite cleaning it was best to order a new one as you are supposed to change them twice a year. I did and find the new one very easy to clean in the soapy water and just air dry. I kept the old one just to use when the new one is drying off.

2 likes

I bought two, one to wear and one in the wash!! I wash the one I use once a week so there isn't a bad build-up with fairy liquid following instructions and find this works really well. I can then leave to air dry thoroughly without having to worry about having a clean dry one to use next day.

3 likes

I get a new one on prescription at least once a year, maybe I should try and get one twice a year as the valve part gets very coated with powder despite washing it.

2 likes

Yes, I'm finding the valve part the hardest to clean. I think I will need to ask for a new one. Thanks

You can buy small bottle brushes for baby's bottles. Try those?

4 likes

Hi Hayley,

Just covered this in Rehab. we were told to wash them weekly with soapy water, don't rinse just leave to dry on it's own. Do not!!! scrub with brushes etc.

Maybe you will be able to get a new one somehow if it's that damaged.

2 likes

Yes I think I'm gonna have to ask for a new one, I have let mine build up too long and now I just can get it clean especially the mouthpiece valve.

P.S The soapy water when left to dry on it's own leaves a sort of film on the tube and prevents the spray sticking to the sides. That's what I was told anyway.

1 like

Hayley_

Hi try soaking it in vanish, then rinse out or additionally do as Stone suggest with a rolled up dish cloth, it should come up a treat.

IKeith

1 like

Vanish. That's unusual, I was wondering if a steradent tablet might help. But I think I will have to get a new one as I have left it too long before cleaning.

Hayley_

Haven't tried a steradent tab but it's a cleansing tool. Your GP should be able to prescribe a new one for you if the cleaning fails.

IKeith

1 like

I was told to dunk it in a water and white vinegar solution, and then rinse it. It works for me.

1 like

Oh right. Thankyou I will give that a go.

You may also like...