British Lung Foundation
35,953 members43,248 posts

Cough! Cough! Cough!!

Is it just me or do others sleep at night with no cough, wake-up, sit up and cough. Sit down and cough! Eat and then cough! It's productive as though I've got clear phlegm/mucus in my throat!

I don't cough when standing or walking! Very odd. So miserable as I'm exhausted 😕

I've coughed like this for 18 months! Any advice or ideas will be very, very welcome. Thank you in advance x

11 Replies
oldestnewest

I had a cough before diagnosis. Since giving up smoking it as stopped. I think what as also helped is my daily exercise. It's seems to bring up any sputum hanging around and after exercise I have very little left to bring up. I sleep in an upright position using a V pillow. I can sleep flat but I find sleeping upright more restful. Due to you not coughing when standing perhaps sleeping upright may help you. I was also wondering if one of the mucus thinning medications could help you clear the mucus from chest more easily and reduce your coughing.

1 like

Thsnks for getting back to me. No cough during night at all. It comes when sitting and/or sitting and eating. Fine walking and exercising. Seems like a posture thing as well as irritated throat. x

Hi Georgina, sounds very familiar to me. Do you have Pulmonary Fibrosis?. I also rarely cough when sleeping or lying down but like you start after eating, when sitting up and down, climbing in and out of cars, Also hate talking on the phone as this often starts a coughing fit. I find that keeping the lungs clear by exercise or the huffing technic can help. x

1 like

Hi thanks for replying. I have non-specific Interstitial pneumonitis. It's one of the many forms of pulmonary fibrosis. I agree the huffing technique is good. I do not cough when exercising just on waking e.g. Sitting up and after eating. Sure it's positional but no real i

Hi thanks for replying. I have non-specific Interstitial pneumonitis. It's one of the many forms of pulmonary fibrosis. I agree the huffing technique is good. I do not cough when exercising just on waking e.g. Sitting up and after eating. Sure it's positional but no real idea. I think my stomach and throat are involved too so taking actimel along with many drugs for acid reflux. Apparently there is such a thing as silent acid reflux that one can have but not be aware of. Hope we both move on from it soon x

1 like

Yes there is silent reflux which my respiritory nurse told me about and diagnosed esmezaprole 40mg twice daily and i saw a great improvement. Only wush i had known sooner.

1 like

Did it also improve your lung performance? x

It did help wih the pain in my chest which i had constantly but what really helped with my breathing was the steroids i took which were prescribed by my doctor. I didnt find them easy to take and only lasted 8 days into the course and found it was impossible to sleep but there was a vast improvement in my breathing and i am hoping it continues.

1 like

Well that's is good news. Pleased it helped. I'm on steroids. I was on them for weeks last year and I'm taking them indefinitely at the moment. I don't know about you but I've got to the stage when I'm so conscious of coughing I'm watching and waiting for it! I'm sleeping when I can but I'm not tired when I don't. In fact I feel full of beans! I hope you continue to do well too. Coughing is very exhausting x

Coughing really gets me down as sometimes it is so hard to move the mucus. I am coughing up but as i dont have any mneds i am going to ask doctor for carbosisteine which may help. Hope you improve winnie

1 like

My prednisolone seem to be helping and I'm taking lanoprazole in the morning, ranitidine at night, chewing gaviscon tablets when out and liquid when in plus lots of actimel drinks. I think that's stopping the acid reflux that's making me cough... hope you stop soon x

You may also like...