E-cigarettes less addictive than cigarettes, PATH study shows

People who regularly use electronic cigarettes are less dependent on their product than those who regularly use traditional cigarettes, according to Penn State College of Medicine researchers.

pennstatehealthnews.org/201...

BUT I will also point out that at the end of the article there is this: "National Institutes of Health and the Center for Tobacco Products funded this research."

Tobacco companies have, in the past, consistently lied about their product's harmful effects.

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi

Background: There are > 7,000 e-cigarette flavors currently marketed. avoring chemicals gained notoriety in the early 2000s when inhalation exposure of the avoring chemical diacetyl was found to be associated with a disease that became known as “popcorn lung.” There has been limited research on avoring chemicals in e-cigarettes.

oBjective: We aimed to determine if the avoring chemical diacetyl and two other high-priority avoring chemicals, 2,3-pentanedione and acetoin, are present in a convenience sample of avored e-cigarettes.

Methods: We selected 51 types of avored e-cigarettes sold by leading e-cigarette brands and avors we deemed were appealing to youth. E-cigarette contents were fully discharged and the air stream was captured and analyzed for total mass of diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione, and acetoin, according to OSHA method 1012.

results: At least one avoring chemical was detected in 47 of 51 unique avors tested. Diacetyl was detected above the laboratory limit of detection in 39 of the 51 avors tested, ranging from below the limit of quanti cation to 239 μg/e-cigarette. 2,3-Pentanedione and acetoin were detected in 23 and 46 of the 51 avors tested at concentrations up to 64 and 529 μg/e-cigarette, respectively.

conclusion: Because of the associations between diacetyl and bronchiolitis obliterans and other severe respiratory diseases observed in workers, urgent action is recommended to further evaluate this potentially widespread exposure via avored e-cigarettes.

citation: Allen JG, Flanigan SS, LeBlanc M, Vallarino J, MacNaughton P, Stewart JH, Christiani DC. 2016. Flavoring chemicals in e-cigarettes: diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione, and acetoin in a sample of 51 products, including fruit-, candy-, and cocktail- avored e-cigarettes. Environ Health Perspect 124:733–739; dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1510185

Source

ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-conten...

• I agree with that, took me ages to get used to swapping the fags

for the vape, put the vape down after 6 months and haven't used it since or missed it

• they lied 50 years ago and bet they are lying now--It is like having the police dept investigate itself---MmeT

• I switched from cigs to e-cigs over 7 years ago - my inhalers are now down by 80% and have had only three or four infections requiring abs and steroids over that entire period - I used to have 4 or 5 a year! Have got to the stage where I can't be bothered whether people make the switch or not - it's their lives. All the "We don't know enough about them" is Pharmaceutical-funded rubbish. We know that cigarettes kill and when Public Health England do a study they do it properly and their conclusion is that e-cigs are 95% safer than smoking - as far as I'm concerned it's a no-brainer.

• I've posted before about my partner who used to smoke 60 a day. He now uses snus which he gets from Sweden. It's still addictive but not nearly as harmful to the lungs.

Snus is not to be confused with chew which is spat out. It seems it's not without risk but is far less harmful than cigarettes.

😊

You may also like...