When I was young a friend of my brother brought round a WW2 gas mask (German, I believe). When they left the room he said don't breathe through that, it's got asbestos in - naturally being a child I went and tried to breathe through it.
Initially I couldn't get any air through, so took a huge breath. I then got a lungfull of dust and felt 'hairs' go down my throat and into my lungs - I can remember the sensation and accompanying dread very clearly.
Obviously asbestos fibres would be too small to feel like that... I'm wondering what I might have inhaled and if I should be worried, have any checks done?