Coughing up blood...

Hi My names Joanna, a couple of days ago twice I coughed up some mucus with bright red blood it was clear mucus but bubbly ... then a couple of hours later I cleaned my teeth ( I like to get rid of mucus when I do) then I had a lot more blood come out, it wasn't coming from my nose or my gums , I also suffer from COPD, I have 30% lung usage left. I haven't coughed up any blood since .

28 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi, have you seen your GP or nurse about this. I don't think it's anything to really bad but just let someone know to put your mind at rest. Xx😊

• Thankyou for your reply , I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection ...

• SOUNDS VERY VERY BAD TO ME !!!! SEE A DOCTOR QUICKLY ****

• Hello Joanna. That must have been awfully scary for you. Once when I had a bad infection, I did cough up some blood. I think you need to consult your doctor. Just to rule out anything sinister. Please do let us know how you get on. Take care.

Cas xx 🌻🌿🌻

• Thankyou for your reply ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection ...

• My fingers are firmly crossed for you 123copd . I hope it clears up soon and that it is nothing sinister. Take good care. Thinking of you. xx

• Go see Doc...to ease mind...take care

• ..Thankyou for your reply, I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection .

• Wishing you well Joanna and please see your GP. Let us know how things go. Take care xxxxx

• Thankyou for your reply ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection

• Keeping everything crossed for you 123copd but if no improvement please go back and see your doctor.

Feel better soon. Xxxxx

• That has happened to me & I was assured I had broken a blood vessel from coughing and everything turned out well & I believe you will find the same. Good to see your Dr but don't worry too much.

• Thankyou Everyone for your replies! ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection . I am glad everything turned out well for you

• Hi Joanna you need to see a GP I often coughed up blood but it was nothing to worry about until the last time and I was diagnosed with a tumour but because i reported it early I have had succesful treatment. Don't let this scare you but it's best to be safe than sorry. Wishing you good luck

Sue x

• Thankyou Everyone for your replies! ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection , That must have been terrifying for you :/ I'm glad your treatment has been successful Sue xx

• Sorry to say this but that GP doesn't sound like a doctor who knows how to deal with COPD if she said that about cancer signs to you! No wonder you were shaken by that comment. I hope you have a proper respiratory consultant to see about this and if not, try to be referred to one for your treatment. At least you are being treated for the lung infection. All the very best, xx.

• Hi Joanna, sorry you have had this to cope with. It happened to me a couple of times and on both occasions I went to A&E, as it was a lot coming up in the way you described. It could just be a burst blood vessel but does need checking out professionally. I remember it happened to me following a day or so of lots of dry coughing, so I think I had burst a vessel, however I had a CT scan at the hospital and the respiratory consultant decided to do a bronchoscopy. All was ok but have it checked and if it does happen again, try to get a sample of it to bring to the doc or hospital. My sample showed a bug called staph, which is stubborn to treat. Let me know how you get on and take care. Xx

• Thankyou Everyone for your replies! ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection. I hope you are all in the clear now :)

• Joanne I cough that hard my throats bleeds maybe the same don't panick get it checked though

• Thankyou Everyone for your replies! ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection

• I would get to a GP to have it all checked out as soon as possible.

• Thankyou Everyone for your replies! ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection

• Evidence of Blood, from any part of your body, needs to be checked out by your G.P / Nurse.Chances are it's nothing to worry about, but for your reassurance see your health professional, Take Care, 😄 .

• Thankyou for your reply, I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection

• Better to be safe than sorry so go and see your GP

• Thankyou for your reply ... I have been to the doctors she is saying that I have a lung infection , so I am being treated for that, firstly she said to me you have all the signs of cancer :/ , I nearly fell off the chair!!!! .... because I have chest tightness, coughing up blood, pain in the upper back & I have lost a lot of weight in the past few months..... but for now she is treating it as an infection, Hoping that it is!!! got some anti biotics, steroids & have to have a few tests done on Saturday..... So keep your fingers crossed for me that it is an infection

• Sounds Bad **** See A Doctor Quickly xxxx Best Of Luck ****

• Something is wrong with this thread. The posts from 123copd are all nearly identical.

You may also like...