New COPD research

Smoke from cigarettes blocks self-healing processes in the lungs and consequently can lead to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Researchers at the Helmholtz Zentrum München, partner in the German Center for Lung Research (DZL), and their international colleagues have reported this in the ‘American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine’.

helmholtz-muenchen.de/en/ne...

Last edited by

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thanks for that. Sounds promising! 😊

• Many thanks....very interesting.

• Thanks 2greys!

Very useful information!

A-J 🌻

• Thanks 2greys, this discovery sounds very hopeful. xx

• Fascinating 2greys. Forget The Famous Five - this is The Mystery of the Frizzled 4. Sounds hopeful though maybe bit late for me (i don't know how old everyone else is!) What I'd like to know is what happens to this receptor with people whose copd is not attributable to cigarette smoke? Is it the same receptor mechanism that gets damaged in e.g. copd caused by environmental pollutants?

I hope there's some good follow-on research. Many thanks for the link :)

• It stops bones healing too.

• Frizzled fruit flies? Why would they test on fruit flies?

• It's something to do with their genetic similarities to humans, disease-wise. I can't remember what, & only know this much because my daughter told me when she was studying genetics at uni

• Fruit flies genetically like humans? I am flabbergasted!

• Hehe yes but only in their response to disease, I think.

• Here you go Azure_Sky scroll down to Benefits of the Fruit Fly & it explains all in a few sentences. Amazing! yourgenome.org/facts/why-us...

• Very interesting , hope to read it more thoroughly over the weekend thanks 2greys.

• Very interesting ......Thank you.

Jo.

• interesting thank you so what we need is something to reactivate our own self healing abilities - more research please xx

You may also like...