Vitamin C for COPD

'Vitamin C protects against COPD

Many of us are familiar with TV ads promoting drugs to treat the symptoms of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Smoking is a big risk factor because oxidative toxins in smoke can damage the lungs. But recent research shows that vitamin C can reduce the risk of COPD. In a recent study, heavy smokers who had the highest intake of vitamin C in their diet (more than 140 mg/day) had a 77% reduction in risk for COPD compared to those with low intake.[6] Other nutrients were helpful too, such as retinol (a vitamin A precursor found in egg yolks, butter, and liver) and carotene (another vitamin A precursor found in carrots and other orange and dark green vegetables). The authors suggest that these essential antioxidants improve the immune response and are responsible for antioxidant defenses in the lungs that aid recovery from inhaling toxins in smoke. The mechanism is thought to be in part vitamin C's ability to restore vascular endothelial growth factor levels and proliferation of alveolar cells in the lungs.[6]'

orthomolecular.activehosted...

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thankyou very much Dottie for this very helpful and informative link. Vitamin C is in so many things that we like in our diets isn't it:-)

Have a good evening.

• Very interesting. I bought some soluble Vitimin C and it gave me a bad stomach ache so I didn't take it again.

I might try a high quality one as suggested as I've never been a big fruit eater, mainly because I find most if it too sour or acidic.

Thanks for the link xx

• Hi casper99, just to let you know that I have been taking 1,000mg of vitamin C every day for years now, 2 when I have a cold or such. They are very good and even my Dr agrees with me, They are chewable tablets that taste like sweets. I have not mentioned the name of chemist in case this gets deleted but they are a nationwwide chain. If you are still unsure, please ask me for their name, 'cos I'm sure that I'll be allowed to reply to you asking.

• Knowing which one you buy, would be great kimtc, I know that Vitimin C, is something I don't get anywhere enough of. xx

• Well, as the whole food form is better and very good Vit C capsules are usually expensive.

• Hi casper99, in reply to your request. I get my vitamin C from the chemist Boots. They are in a grey screw top plastic bottle whiich is quite large. 6 months of 1,000mg for about £13-£15 works out very affordable for me! A word of caution though, I only take 2 when I have a cold. Reason being when I tried 3, ended up with bad case of diahorea (spelt that wrong again). Dr was very good by not laughing at me - just told me to drink plenty of water and to cut back to just 1 or 2 a day. Remember that these are chewable, so if they do make you feel bad, try a half until you get used to them. I hope they work for you as well.

• I'll have a look for them next time I'm in there, thanks Kimtc xx

• Casper. I use cheap Eff Vit C on a regular basis I find it very refreshing on a hot day Don't know about it preventing anything. Lol. But you done have to buy an expensive one. Just try. Few cheaper brands

• I have moderate COPD and buy ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and take a teaspoon in water three times a day (every two hours at the start of a cold and it knocks it on the head) I get the high quality pharmaceutical grade from Amazon.

Vitamin C doesn't last in the body for more than two hours, hence regular doses. Fingers crossed I haven't had a cold this winter.

• Please all read this before you carry on taking/go out and buy ascorbic acid:

What's wrong with Ascorbic Acid?http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/whats_wrong_with_ascorbic_acid

Basically you should always consume the whole food form of vitamins and if you do take ascorbic acid, then you need to make sure you have it with some kind of bioflavonoids, in order to make the C more bioavailable.

• What are bioflavonoids Dottie? I might give this a go. xx

• Bioflavonoids are phytochemicals found mainly in fruits and vegetables casper99.

draxe.com/bioflavonoids/

• Thanks Dottie xx

You may also like...