What can I do?

Been coughing heavily since Friday so went the docs on Monday who listened to my chest and said I didn't have a chest infection but she could hear wheezing and that I was having an asthma flare up/exacerbation (she suggested it could be some sort of virus or the hot/cold damp air) advised me to double up on the fostair (from 4 puffs a day to 8 puffs a day) and go heavy on the ventolin (every time I had a coughing fit, which at the minute is a lot)

Is there anything else I can do to regain control? shorten the length of the cough? get me peak flow back to where it should be? old herbal cures?

Thanks

Chip

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi

Have a word with your pharmacist they may sort a cough mix or recommend a over counter brand.

I had same last year out for three weeks.

A the moment I using Twinning lemon and ginger herbal tea, plus taking 1/2 teaspoon of honey morning and night, might keep it at bay.

• Thanks I hadn't thought of them but always have a good raw honey in the house

• G'day Chip

You can try Fishermans friend. They are obtainable over the counter, but are very strong and should give relief for several hours

Will (Australia)

• Hallo Chip. I have coughing fits in the evening and in the morning. I suck a strepsil (the sort for Coughs and Sore Throats). I find it quite effective to relieve the cough. Good luck and keep well.

• Hi I have just been through 3 weeks of hell with coughing fits due to chest infection. The numerous anti biotics and steroids seemed to make me worse. I bought Allens pine and honey syrup which seems to help and is warming as it goes down. A herbalist also recommended a cough spray with marshmallow , he says it brings up all the junk from way down! I didn't buy it as the Allens is working at the mo.

feel for you.

• I use Olbas pastilles for my throat - an acquired taste but work for me - may help with the coughing too - hope so - good luck xxx

• Thanks for all the replies I actually bought some jakemans menthol and eucalyptus sweets that have helped a little but I will give some of these others a try

Thanks for all the tips

Chip

You may also like...