COPD and/or EMphysema

Hello,

I attended the second week of the rehab group and it was very good actually, however during the teaching/education bit the Nurse said that emphysema is now called COPD.

I felt confused and actually a bit upset because I thought although COPD is a progressive disease Emphysema was like the end stages of the disease?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi

COPD Is a umbrella term for chronic bronchitis and emphysema can also include " chronic " asthma.

COPD has four stages. End stage only refers to stage four, and not end of life, as so many people surmise " incorrectly "

• Thank you stone

• What happens next i feel so tied all tie know i have C.O.P.D.and Bronceacticsis i am so tied and what to sleep ore omore

• don't worry copd is an umbrella term for emphysema or and chronic bronchitis. emphysema which I have doesn't mean your end stage im severe but I can do most things still. slower than before and get out of breath but quality of life is good , my sats are good so not on oxygen,

• That's encouraging thanks mmzetor

• I have Emphysema/bronchiectasis and asthma they are all upper respiratory diseases but as others have stated Emphysema alone is now lumped together as COPD,its in one of my lungs and just means it is holelier and spongy and in a mild form apparently if you keep well/active and look after yourself you can survive up to 25 years with it.this was information from my pulmonary team at the hospital so don't think you are end stage x

• Yes I understand, I think! People say to me they would never know that I have a lung disease because I don't look ill and I take care of myself, only people close to me during activities that wind me would notice my breathlessness, I guess I hide it well and it's good I don't look ill! Thanks for your encouragement.

• Disability is not always visible and you don't get people making allowance for it,especially invites to bbqs and the smoke is a killer

• True, there isn't enough awareness and quite often symptoms aren't visible to everyone, I went to London today with my daughter and I wanted to use the buses rather than tubes once we got to Waterloo, half the journey was ok on buses but second half we did the underground as she was impatient with the buses, and I Found it difficult as there didn't seem to be any air down there and was so hot and stuffy, trouble is the tubes are quicker than the bus!

• Hi. Just a comment on the COPD/EMPHYSEMA. From what I have been told, all these lung problems are lumped together under the COPD title.

• As other folk have posted, COPD is an umbrella term. COPD means 'Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

A common misconception is that 'chronic' means very bad, whereas it means long term.

;)

• I too have moderate COPD. When diagnosed 4 years ago I asked the doctor if COPD is the same as emphysema. She replied not until the end. I do get breathless. I do get tired but pace myself and don't feel too affected by this illness.

• That's exactly how I feel Sherry44. I try not to focus on my condition and just go on with life as normal as possible.

You may also like...