It is said

that the greatest film of all time is Citizen Kane. Good film yes but greatest?

Anyway people's tastes vary so much in this respect. I mean I even heard that Sound of Music was up there in the lists. Come on, I would rather walk around with a bucket on my head than watch the S of M. If you want musicals Some Like it Hot has to be up there with the greatest

To me a good film is one that you want to watch again. The Sixth Sense does it for me. One with a real twist to the ending.

What floats your boat?

gus

41 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I so agree with you about Sound of Music. I remember watching it in the cinema and thinking I cannot stomach any more of this sugar!

I really enjoyed "Oliver!" Could watch that over again. There have been so many films over the years, I am sure there are other favorites, just can't think at the moment. Iris x

• Yes Oliver was a great film. But which version? I also watched the original stage show in London in the 60s.

gus

• Its the 1968 version of Oliver! For me, with Mark Lester as Oliver.

• " Green mile " for me, love Tom Hanks films, Apollo 13, Philadelphia, but as for musicals I do love " calamity Jane " xx Sonia xx

• Sonia you missed out Forest Gump.

gus

• But that's why I said Tom hanks films, too many to name, I love castaway, big, saving private Ryan the list goes on but ultimately green mile out does them all for me xx Sonia xxx

• I think he got an Oscar for F G or was it for something else?

gus

• For philedelphia and forest grump xx Sonia xx

• To sonia You can't keep a good man down or a women for that matter.

gus

• Did you mention Saving Private Ryan

gus

• Slumdog Millionaire. By the way the "contestant" on that film is also in a film on Film 4 tonight. The Best Marigold Hotel.

Worth watching.

gus

• Gosh that's a tough one, there are so many. As I said in a previous post can watch Footsteps in fog any time. Sixth sense great ending. Die Hard mainly for Alan Rickman, Les Mis, seen on stage umpteen times, and I know many hate the new film but I love it. Many old British black and white, specially those made in London, with the likes of Jack Hawkins, John Grigson etc. I could go on, and on and on.....

• I walked out of Les Miserables half way through it bored the ar.. I mean bottom off me.

I did the same with Lincoln.

gus

• Forgot to mention some like it hot, one of my all time favourites too

• Love Some like it Hot and The Graduate plus Dead Poets Society and as a tribute to the brilliant Gene Wilder, Silver Streak. Xxxx

• I watch some like it hot at least once a year, jack Lemmon is a delight

• MisUse - liked many of the post war British black and white films but favourites of all time:-

The Sound of Music - can still picture my daughter as a small child singing all the songs with the actions too. The Guns of Navarone. Reach for the Sky. Hornblower R.N. The Cruel Sea. Dr Zhivago.

Haven't watched films for years - last one I went to the Pictures to see was The Deerhunters. I'd much rather read the book that spawned the film.

• Hi J

I also like the old black and white post war films, The Dambusters being one....

but the best film ever is Disney's The Jungle Book....l just love that Bear 😂😂😂

xx

• I watched the new Jungle Book on the Internet for free. Don't tell anyone will you.

gus

• velvet55

Hello velvet...............

Baloo.............I liked Bagheera and Kaa.........ssssssssssssssss

• Hey Jennifer S What about Whiskey Galore. Great British B&W film.

Also anything with Alex Guinness.

gus

• The Ealing Comedies. St Trinians. etc., etc., etc.,

....all good but not in my favourites.

• Loved "The Third Man" ....good film, great music.

• The moment I saw Superman flying to save Lois Lane has stuck with me for ever...It was Soooo real to me...I actually cheered I wasn't the only one...obviously a sci-Fi freak... but I don't care I loved it 😆

• loved the tights.

gus

• There are a few films, I could watch time and again. "Rebecca", "The Queen" and films like "Notting Hill", "Love Actually" etc.

• I am trying to think of the B&W film where Betty Davis still thinks she is a star.

Bela Lugosi the best vampire ever also starred.

gus

• Whatever happened to Baby Jane?

• I love Betty Davis films, she was a one off, what a bitch in The Anniversary...Brilliant.

• Is it All about Eve? Good film

• Sorry mrsmummy and misuse.

I had got it wrong as usual. The two you mentioned where great films but it was Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard with William Holden that i was thinking about.

God knows why I mentioned Bela Lugosi he wasn't in it.

gus

• Some Like it Hot, brilliant film, The Odd Couple, another superb Jack Lemmon film. What about Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers? I can watch them endlessly. Bringing up Baby with Cary Grant & Kathryn Hepburn, loved that! Hated the Sound of Music & couldn't bear Mamma Mia, truly awful. Deliverance is great, 7even, The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version), Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Kelly's Heroes. Ooh I'm getting carried away there are SO many!!

• I can't think of any modern horror films that were any good except The Shining with Jack Nicholson and the excellent Swedish horror vampire film Let the Right One In.

But the B&W films with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Vincent Price were all top class.

gus

• Okay then,

Shawshank Redemption with Tim Robbins

Inherit the Wind - Spencer Tracey

12 Angry Men - Henry Fonda

Apollo 13 - Tom Hanks

Castaway -Tom Hanks and Wilson the ball

The first three Star Wars

Drag me to Hell - frightened me to death

War of the worlds Tom Cruise

Gladiator - Russell Crowe

Safe House Denzel Washingon

Old Boy - contraversial Korean Film

Bridge of spies - Tom Hanks

JP

• Calamity Jane is mine,I can watch that over and over,Windy City is might pretty but it ain't got what we got,lol I'm singing now.🌷🌷

• I'm telling ya boys. I wouldn't trade one half of Deadwood for the whole of illinois.

gus

• The good the bad and the ugly, summer holiday. ,the clockwork orange, God I'm showing my age

• No you're not. They were great films enjoyed by young and old. well okay we won't mention Summer Holiday which makes me gag.

gus

• Come on!! no one mentioned ET. Great film if you are a kid or want to be a kid again.

gus

• Surely someone mentioned Godfather and Godfather 2

and what about Apocalypse Now and On the Waterfront.

Who will ever forget Last Tango in Paris.

Marlon Brando must be up there with the greatest actors ever.

gus

• You made me smile Gus 💜

You may also like...