Traveling with portable concentrator

Hi everyone,please help me. After my husband been to the hospital breathless and the oxymeter kept showing low sats but the blood test showed normal sats i had a feeling they did it wrong( which they did), i asked to do it again and the sats were low. Now we want to travel to the UK to hospital for some tests, we rented portable concentrator but to go on plane we need a letter from doctor. Our doctor in here is giving us one, but she doesnt know how it should look like and what to write in it( she never did it before). Can anyone who travels with concentrators tell me what should be in that letter. Thank you.

13 Replies

  • Hi

    I believe what you require is a fit to fly letter.

    Example information

    If your GP Is unsure speak to you Airline customer service.

    Another example.

  • In my experience the airlines supply the letter and the doctor fills it in and signs it. Check with the airline.

  • Thank you very much for your answers.

  • Oh, just called to airlines and they said they dont have forms like that and said to call to security of airport, if they let, the airline ll let use it. Called to security and they said we dont know what it is but we had people using liquid oxygen and needed a letter from doctor, so if it is not liquid one just take it and use it. But i ll take a letter from local doctor anyway.

  • Hi Mendy,

    I suggest that you print out this great form that stone had found for you above. white-out or something to remove Rex flight at the top right corner, remove all references to Rex airline from text, remove the small writing in italic "Note....." that talks about what oxygen concentrators etc Rex allows.

    I would then photocopy it so that the white-out cannot be seen and then take it to your dr to fill in . Alternatively you could make your own form based on this one but make sure to leave out all the reference to the Rex airline as you are not flying with them. I think this is a great form.

    Also, make sure that your husband is protected from germs during the flight and getting in and out of airports as he wants to avoid picking up bugs at all costs. Maybe you could both wear a face mask (you also do not want to pick up anything to protect him)?

    Best wishes

  • Hi jenss, thank you very much. Thats a very good idea!!! Ll take that form to doctor. Will get the masks too. Thank you lots xx

  • HiExtract from Virgin airlines.


    Respiratory assistive devices

    The following guidelines apply to any respiratory assistive devices you wish to bring onboard:

    It must be labelled by the manufacturer, confirming it has been tested to meet the requirements for medical portable devices set by the UK Government or US Federal Aviation Authority.

    The device must not be too big or too heavy to be used in the cabin.

    Any extra batteries must be packaged in accordance with UK safety regulations.

    You must carry sufficient fully-charged batteries to power the device for 150% of the expected maximum flight duration, to take any delays into account.

    You may also need to carry a medical certificate for the condition that requires you to use the device.

    If you're unsure about any other regulations or requirements that might apply to you, please contact our Special Assistance team – they are there to help! You can contact them on


    As you can see there is two condition which I believe applies to all airlines. If you use oxygen full time that you have sufficient batteries for the journey, and the devices is FDA approved for airline travel.

    The medical certificate is a copy of your oxygen prescription.

    Which airline are you using?

  • Thank you sooo much, you are very helpful. We ll fly by Aeroflot.

  • Hi

    May help you further.

  • Thank you, they really dont know anything about concentrators. They said call to security of the airport, if they let we ll let. So i did and security said, thats ok if its FDA aproved, just have the concentrator's documents with you and use it, no problem. But anyway i ll do the letter, just copy it from the link you sent. Because then, when we fly back from the UK, UK ll not let him take it on board without letter.

  • A good few years ago I also needed a letter to allow me to fly with a portable concentrator. No problem. I just mentioned it to my Respiratory Consultant and he gave me a letter immediately.


  • I fly with a concentrator but I don't need it on the flight. If I did the airline's told me I must travel with battery power double the flight time. They did not require a letter from a doctor. This was my experience. PS I also request a wheelchair when I fly.

    Do check with the airlines.

  • I have a permanent (almost) fit to fly lodged with BA, which is about the only airline I use. They sent the medical form for my GP to fill in and then return to them. They also provide other services, like continuous oxygen whilst on board. No charge. I also have my portable for moving around the cabin during the flight, e.g. going to the loo. Think you need to really check with Aeroflot before you go. I have had a look at their website and it gives information there : information /preparation /special_transportation/disabled.

You may also like...