Hi my daughter who is 20 has been diagnosed with Bronchiectasis and we are struggling to get information, she had her ct scan in november 15 and lost of blood tests and lung function tests the letter from her consultant stated that her tubes where wider than normal and this would explain the symptoms... constant cough , chest infections etc, no mention of Bronchiectasis, however or GP has said that it is bronchiectasis. Our problem is that we have not seen the consultant again to ask questions about the condition and I rang this morning and was told that she was due to be seen march/april 16 but they were behind and didn't know when she would be seen. I am trying to get travel insurance and one of the questions is have you ever been diagnosed with copd and I cannot answer as I do not know if Bronchiectasis comes under this umbrella. Also her sputum samples are coming back with bacteria showing but we are told not to treat it with antibiotics unless she has symptoms. Since last September she has only had one clear sputum test!

12 Replies

• Hi

May help with a better understanding, and the kind of questions you may want to ask.

• Stone Thank you I had never seen this site before, found it very helpful

• Thank you ... This is a great help

• Bronchiectasis is not copd but as been known as lady windermere syndrome

• Bronchiectasis no longer comes under COPD. you will probably find that your travel insurance will be loaded a little because of the Bronchiectasis - on a yearly insurance mine went up by £20 for the Bronchiectasis. Look on the BLF website to get information on Bronchiectasis it is the best place to go to. Your daughter may need to see a physio for mucus clearing exercises. I do the active cycle of breathing which I find helpful. Some people find that steam helps too. Are sure you get back to see your consultant. Keep chasing the appointment up, Another tip is to ask the consultant to send copies of any letters to you. You will be amazed at how any go missing and it means you will get the information straight away and can then make an appointment either with your consultant or your GP to discuss things.

Good Luck.

Other than doing the mucus clearance exercises Bronchiectasis has not really changed my life at all.

• medical travel compared is a site from I have just found from the martin lewis website. just put in bronchiectasis as a medical condition. this is by far the best site I have come across. I listed rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid lung disease, bronchiectasis and high blood pressure and got a quote of just 16 POUNDS for a week in Santorini, couldn't believe it. never had it that good before. :-) janx

• Thanks everyone ... it's a learning curve!

• I have bronchiectasis and have just purchased travel insurance - they added a small amount, but it was still very affordable. (And I'm 69!) It's not COPD. Keep pushing for the consultant appointment - they will be able to explain everything and hopefully refer your daughter for respiratory physiotherapy, which will help with clearing the mucus. If they don't offer that - ask for it! Good luck - hope your daughter gets the treatment she needs, and stays well.

• I have had confirmed bronchiectasis for 4/5 years now but probably had it since childhood (I'm 67 now). If your sputum shows bacteria then it should be treated as, as my consultant said it could be bubbling away and getting worse. I don't very often get symptoms when I have an infection and have to go with how I feel rather than temperature, signs of fever etc.

It would be worth a visit to your daughter doctors so that they can check it out.

It can take a awhile to understand what bronch symptoms are individual to your daughter and whether action needs to taken. For me it was about 9 months from first being referred to the hospital and getting a proper diagnosis, your daughter will get there and although it is a nasty disease many of us on the HU have it but still live an active life, if a bit wheezy.

• As you gp says its a widening of the airways so the tiny hairs can not move the mucus and its important she learns how to move this herself with breathing technique and you can help with the video ive put on here also staying away form smokers and anything else that would irritate her lungs .....The gp can refer her to pulmonary rehab which is a course that can show her how to take care of herself

• Thank you all so much for your replies! It's great to get some advice from people who actually know what it's like living with this condition! We have a lot to learn but we'll get there :) Thanks again everyone

• This does come under the COPD umbrella. Good luck to your daughter - tell her there is a lot of help out there. :)

You may also like...