British Lung Foundation
33,722 members41,201 posts

The cold weather and your lungs

Good morning all,

Vicky, one of our respiratory nurse advisers, has written a great blog offering advice and tips on keeping warm and well in the cold.

blog.blf.org.uk/2015/11/kee...

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to give us a call on the BLF Helpline, 03000 030 555, and we'll endeavour to help you.

Keep warm and well

Best wishes,

Biddy

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Very helpful Vicky ! Thank You !

1 like

Thanks for the links Biddy. Very interesting & informative reading 😀

Good advice.

Thanks Biddy.

Sue

Thank-you Biddy. Hope you have a lovely Christmas, and a very Happy new year. I will have a look at the advice, and take heed. It helps to know all the tips. x

Thanks Biddyfor your well wishes to everyone. I was looking up exercises for people in my position (I had a lobectomy last year Xmas Eve) followed by chemo. I was hoping to go to Yoga in the New Year, any suggestions?

Hilde72

Hello Hilde,

Have you seen out information 'Living with a lung condition'? it has a good section on exercise and pulmonary rehabilitation (PR).

blf.org.uk/Page/Living-with...

It's still advisable however, to chat with your healthcare professional about exercise before undertaking anything strenuous. You also need to get a referral from a GP to attend PR.

If you want to chat with one of our respiratory nurses about exercise please give us a call on 03000 030 555.

Best wishes

Biddy

Thank you Biddy for replying, I have looked at a lot of options on the site for exercise and have decided to ring one of the nurses for a chat. It is interesting how breathing right can make a big difference to how you feel. I think I could use some advice on this.

Many thanks Hilde

Thanks Biddy.

Keeping your bedroom warm could be expensive if done by your central heating, heating all the house all night. You can get a small convector heater, thermostatically controlled for the bedroom- Aldi had them recently(Jan2016), 2KW with a timer to turn it on & off, and with thermostat.. £19.99

Even on a cold night, in a reasonably modern house, it only comes on for a minute (silent) every 20 mins or so, so will be very cheap to run and you can set the thermostat to your preference so as to keep your room at a comfortable temperature for you.

If Aldi sold out you can find something similar at Argos etc.

1 like

Thankyou for that soulsaver. It get's a bit much having to go round switching off all the radiators at night apart from the one in the bedroom.

You may also like...