The cold weather and your lungs

Good morning all,

Vicky, one of our respiratory nurse advisers, has written a great blog offering advice and tips on keeping warm and well in the cold.

blog.blf.org.uk/2015/11/kee...

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to give us a call on the BLF Helpline, 03000 030 555, and we'll endeavour to help you.

Keep warm and well

Best wishes,

Biddy

Last edited by

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Very helpful Vicky ! Thank You !

• Thanks for the links Biddy. Very interesting & informative reading 😀

• Good advice.

• Thanks Biddy.

Sue

• Thank-you Biddy. Hope you have a lovely Christmas, and a very Happy new year. I will have a look at the advice, and take heed. It helps to know all the tips. x

• Thanks Biddyfor your well wishes to everyone. I was looking up exercises for people in my position (I had a lobectomy last year Xmas Eve) followed by chemo. I was hoping to go to Yoga in the New Year, any suggestions?

Hilde72

• Hello Hilde,

Have you seen out information 'Living with a lung condition'? it has a good section on exercise and pulmonary rehabilitation (PR).

blf.org.uk/Page/Living-with...

It's still advisable however, to chat with your healthcare professional about exercise before undertaking anything strenuous. You also need to get a referral from a GP to attend PR.

If you want to chat with one of our respiratory nurses about exercise please give us a call on 03000 030 555.

Best wishes

Biddy

• Thank you Biddy for replying, I have looked at a lot of options on the site for exercise and have decided to ring one of the nurses for a chat. It is interesting how breathing right can make a big difference to how you feel. I think I could use some advice on this.

Many thanks Hilde

• Thanks Biddy.

• Keeping your bedroom warm could be expensive if done by your central heating, heating all the house all night. You can get a small convector heater, thermostatically controlled for the bedroom- Aldi had them recently(Jan2016), 2KW with a timer to turn it on & off, and with thermostat.. £19.99

Even on a cold night, in a reasonably modern house, it only comes on for a minute (silent) every 20 mins or so, so will be very cheap to run and you can set the thermostat to your preference so as to keep your room at a comfortable temperature for you.

If Aldi sold out you can find something similar at Argos etc.

• Thankyou for that soulsaver. It get's a bit much having to go round switching off all the radiators at night apart from the one in the bedroom.

You may also like...