Azithromycin: Can anyone tell me what... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
40,574 members47,682 posts

Azithromycin

Can anyone tell me what the other AB like Azithromycin is called. My friend has been on Azit nearly a month he feels really well except his ankles hurt and are weak, he's having a scan and he's really worried they will take him off it. I said i will find out so he can ask his consultant.

Kim

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Kimmy i see no reason why they would take him off that unless its whats causing it x

1 like

Well hopefully they won't but i just wanted to find out the name of the other one for him.

Kim xx

I used to be on azithromycin but as I continued to keep getting chest infections my consultant changed me to doxycycline, I take 100 mgs once a day. I presume you meant this antibiotic?

Thanks for your reply but its not Doxycycline, but yes it is an AB.

Kim

Are you on Doxycillin all the time 2 a day , I am on Azithromycin 1every other day but I do not feel as good as when I am on Doxycillin

Yes I take doxycycline every day and have not had any problems with it

No I'm on Azit, just asking for a friend.

Kim xx

Do you mean ciproxicillin which we take for pseudomonas? It isn't taken long term like azithromycin though.

Yes I think it is, I didn't realise they weren't for long term.

Kim xx

1 like

Actually I think its Erythromycin or Clarithromycin there the ones my consultant mentioned. I've been searching my paperwork.

Kim xx

yes usually 750mg bd for 14 days. A different type of drug to azithromycin.

I haven't had clarithromycin but many folks on here have had it. I had erithromycin a ot in the past. It is related to azithromycin and some docs are prescribing long term as an alternative. Azithromycin is a more complicated drug called a macrolide. Good luck with whatever works.

You may also like...