Help please

Help please

Hi, am new to this but around 15 years ago I Had an accident at a chemical factory and was subjected to sodium hypochlorite and hydrercloric acid which is chlorine gas, this really damaged my lungs and since then I have suffered with bronco problems since then .

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with COPD and have just had to quit my job as the stress of it is making my condition worse I am now on anti depressants and don't know what to do next, my doctor and COPD nurse is telling me that I should think about getting help from the state but I have never claimed a thing and don't know where to turn, I am worried about loosing my rented house and am stuck in a rut...I am a 51 year old man any help would be appreciated

27 Replies

  • Hi & welcome! You've come to the right place if you want advice. There are a lot of knowledgeable people who can help you with your condition. If you read through some of the posts, you'll also see we have fun & keep each other going! We all have various hobbies, animals, holidays etc, anything goes. We chat to each other which is great for lifting the spirits when we feel a bit down.

    I'm quite sure you will be able to claim benefits to help you if you are unable to work due to your illness. Type in benefits in Google & you will get to the correct website. You could maybe look at getting ESA, employment support allowance, or PIP, personal independent payment. Help with housing benefit is also available.

    You are not alone & I'm sure you will get all the help you need here. Take care

  • So sorry to hear your story.

    Can't help about claiming benefits but you really should go down that route and there are people who can help, on the forum and elsewhere.

    I do have a query about your diagnosis though. What is the evidence for COPD?

    If it came about suddenly then why do that say COPD?

    Are you happy with your doctors, GP and consultant?

    Let us know how things go.

    K xxx

  • Hi frank welcome to the site, I won't repeat all the benefit advice as others have probably covered everything, but everyone is really friendly on here and you will get lifts of laughs and advice as well as being able to vent your feelings. Take care. Jan x

  • Welcome to the site, Franks. The advice the other posts have given about benefits is very good. May I suggest too, you spend at least an hour on this site every day for several weeks, getting to know people and getting to know more about your condition. I found it helped me be a lot more positive about my COPD diagnosis, and gave me lots of suggestions about how to control my symptoms and what to ask at the doctor's appointments. That helped reduce the worry, fear and stopped me from getting depressed about what I'd lost, and helped me start concentrating on what I can still do, or still realistically aim to do. All the best, M.

  • Thank you very much I will do just that, I can't beleive the amount of people that responded to my post it has really made me feel as though I am not on my own.

    Thank you very much for the advice.



  • Hi I really do feel for you it's very frightening. I too have copd.

    I had to retire from the Nhs two yrs ago, I get ESA . Just get in touch with the Benifit helpline, you should then get help with your rent etc. good luck.

  • Thank you for your advice I will do.

    All the best


  • welcome to the site frank I wont repeat the benefit advice but once you get that sorted out that should be a big worry of your mind , take care

  • Thank you for replying to my post I can't beleive the amount of people who replied and so quickly..

    Thank you


  • you are welcome we are all going through the same things , we are all here for each other through all the ups and the downs , take care


  • Oh that sounds dreadful for you. I care for my husband who has severe COPD so I can relate to how the stress can affect your condition. It might be a good idea to ring the BLF helpline they might be able to offer you some advise - You can call the helpline on 03000 030 555 Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Good luck xxx

  • Hello Frank

    Firstly, Stop worrying...easily, said but hard to do, I know.

    Secondly...You have found you will get all the support, information, and advice to help you out, and we will not allow you to be down and in a rut..there are some crazy members on here, with a wicked sense of humour to give you a laugh every day...I personally try to avoid these crazy members conversations and live the quiet life......Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!

    Now then, I have spent many years, ( before and after my time running a pub ) working in laboratories, and you are right...Sodium Hypochlorite and Hydrochloric Acid, when mixed result in Very toxic Chlorine Gas being given off...Accident or not precautions by your employer should have ensured your health and safety, As copd can start years after exposure to something, have you no comeback on them.

    And finally...Claiming benefits...You have worked all your life and paid your taxes etc.... Claim everything you are entitled to, try citizens advice. They will point you in the right direction.

    But all this will only happen if you actively take part in looking for it.

    So Frank...I am sending you a big dose of positivity, and confidence.

    Get out of that rut and Go for it.

    Lots of love

    Velvet ( the shy quiet member !!!! ) xxxx

  • Thank you Velvet, I can say that when I had my accident I was given no compensation so to speak but was given industrial injuries benifit at the rate of 50% but that was 15 years ago the only problem is that my condition has now worsened. I was diagnosed at the Royal Brompton hospital at the time but I was never told that I could have developed this terrible COPD..

    Thank you for making me feel heaps better.

    Lots of love


  • Hello Frank, you've found your way here, that means you've turned a corner and are already on a new learning curve. There are people here who know a lot more than I do about copd (I've only recently been diagnosed) benefits, and such like and they'll be only too willing to help answer your questions whenever they can, or point you in the right direction, if they can't. You've come to the right place and now you can take a fresh look at your situation. How you got to 'where you are now' can't be changed - how you cope with it, can be - and this little community is here to help you with that.

  • Thank you so much.


  • Hi frank, welcome to the site, you've already got lots of advice about benefits etc so I won't repeat them. I just want to say welcome and get all the help you need, and come on here regularly because there's always someone to help and cheer you up when you're feeling down.

    Take care.

    Christine. XX X

  • Hi Frank and welcome my experience of trying to claim is not a good one like many on hear the system has changed in the last few years and not for the best.

    Can you not claim compensation from your last employer for the accident it seem unfair that the situation your in is due to your accident.

    We are always on line and you can contact BLF they can help you with benefit advice but most important health advice take care

  • Hi Frank,

    There's lots of good information here or you can always give the BLF helpline a call 0n 03000 030 555 if you need a human touch.

    Good luck in your quest

    Keep your chin up :)

  • Frank, I am a similar age and in a similar position to you. I look at it as a new stage of life wherein the important thing is to find the humility to accept my circumstances graciously. Embracing the changes and decline strangely gives me a new sense of youth and excitement.

  • You gave no indication of where you live; states or England...? If you're in England, then some others on the list can help you far better than I; if you're in the states, you need to find the agencies in your particular area. Do a google search for "handicapped assistance" or some such, talk with other people locally, start looking around and stop saying you don't know where to start...., just start.

  • Hi Dmactds, I live in the UK.

    Thank you for your valid post I am on it.



  • go to a CAB they will help you with the papers etc. good luck you have paid in for this so make your claim.I hope you can stop worries soon

  • if you have paid a full nat ins stamp you can claim contribution based esa imediatly of 73 pounds per week by phone you will need to send them a fit note ( sick note)

  • give these experts a call, i'm sure they will be able to advise you. Good Luck. x

  • Hello. I was diagnosed with mild bronchiectasis 4 years ago now. The condition is still mild but I sometimes feel very low because its as if u are told u have a condition wiuich cant be cured but u are sent away to wait for it to get progressively worse. When I doget low I think about the poor children who have cystifibrosis bronchiectasis some of whom do not live past 30. I give myself a good talking to. U come from my generation of people to whom claiming benefits feels wrong. U have presumably worked all your life and u are entitled to support. I would recommend speaking to the CAB as they can tell u exactly what u are entitled to.

    This is not my area, but as the condition was caused by work I am sure u should be entitles to compensation. Im sure someone on this site will contact u regarding this but again -don't feel bad u are entitled to it. Good luck and speak again soon.

  • Have a look here it will help

  • Hello Frank,you have paid a lot of tax during your life some of which goes to provide services and payments to protect us when things like you are experiencing affect us,there is no shame in collecting these benefits but it can be complicated.I found the CAB ( citizens advice ) very helpful.They will tell you what and how to claim,they even helped me fill in the forms.I have very severe emphysema and get ESA and PIP.I have already paid off my mortgage but I,m sure you get help with rent and stuff.Just remember you can control your illness and not let it control you.I wish you the very best of luck ,keep in touch let us know how you get on.Regards D.

You may also like...