Colloidal silver and pseudomonas

Hi all

Has anyone tried colloidal silver? Type the heading into Google and you'll find lots of interesting sites. It looks very promising as an alternative to the usual antibiotics for pseudomonas and although there are no studies into the long-term use of silver,

I'd happily be a gineau pig!

I've written to the author of one article to ask if he has done any more research.

I've also been reading about the nasty side effects of ciproflaxin, levofloxacin etc, and if there's an alternative way of controlling/clearing pseudomonas infections then I'm up for it!

:-)

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi there,

I was interested in your post about colloidal silver as we would all like an alternative to the horrible cipro. What I found was very disturbing. The FDA in America have banned its use and taken action against several companies for making false claims. It can lead to poisoning which turns the skin silver blue and is permanent. There has been no accredited or published research on it.

If you would like to help to get us a better drug to fight pseudomonas I suggest that you nag your consultant and NICE to approve Pulmaquin. This is inhaled cipro. I took part in the first trial in 2010 and it worked like magic with no side effects. The FDA are fast tracking its licence for non cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis in America. As you know, COPD patients use many of the same antibiotics as us. This is the first good news on the drug fight against pseudomonas for a long time and yet it is being kept very quiet, I suspect because of the cost.

All the best.

• Hi Stillstanding

It's not surprising the FDA has banned it. They will ban any and all treatments that are cheap to produce and which it can't control and make money out of.

I think the silver-blue effect is extremely rare and involves very heavy doses of the silver.

I'll certainly check out Pulmaquin (thanks for that), although I find it difficult to believe that there are any drugs without side effects. That would be marvellous!!

• The benefit of inhaled drugs lies in the fact that they go directly to the lungs and not through the blood stream. Of course, there is always the risk that the lungs won't like them, as mine with tobi and colomycin.

I have had bronchiectasis since I was 3 ( 62 years) and experience has taught me that. I would rather go with a national agency which is answerable for its actions rather than salesmen who make spurious claims disguised as scientific evidence. They are truly out to get your money.

However, if you go for it and it works, please let me know. I would be delighted to find such a simple solution to the pseudomonas.

• Hi we have talked in length about this before on here. If you type it into the search box at the top it will come up. x

• thanks

• Thanks Coughalot

I just did a quick search and there are some posts on here about colloidal silver and pseudomonas. I'm going to look further into this.

Moodygirl is on a mission!

• I remember my partner bought a bottle of colloidal silver for his problems - but not sure if he ever took it.

• Errr.... apologies for ignorance, what are or is 'pseudomonas'?

Google failed me on that one.

K x

• Pseudomonas is a 'bug'; very prevalent in the atmosphere (according to my consultant anyway). Healthy lungs can breathe it out easily but if it 'settles' it will start to cause more serious lung problems. It is also resistant to all but a few antibiotics hence why it crops up frequently as an issue for people with illnesses like bronchiectasis or others with damaged lungs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseud...

• Thanks. Nasty.

Not a lot to say, is there? Can't — as far as I can see — be avoided.

Bit of a bugger.

K xx

• I wouldn't pretend by any means to be overly knowedgeable about it but I think different people have different experiences of it. I have recurring infection but can generally shift it with oral antibiotic. I know of other people though that have to go on drips & have far more trouble with it than I've had.

• Just looked at your profile. Lovely picture. Looks familiar.

Maybe not far from us?

K xx

• I had to look to remind myself haha!! Anyway it's Marsden Moor close to Huddersfield which isn't too far from where I live.

• A few miles from us then...

K xx

• I hope you're enjoying the sunny bank holiday!!

• You are joking Minushabens, it's been raining and miserable here in loughborough.

Mind you...since retiring four years ago, every day is a holiday! I just feel sorry for the people who've gone to a lot of trouble in organising events today.

Just starting to clear up now though.

• I have to confess there was an element of irony in my post. It's pouring down here!

You may also like...