Having investigations - scared

Hi, I have never had any lung problems and always a non-smoker. 11 weeks ago I started with a hefty chest infection, but felt ok and didn't rest up. When it didn't go, I went to the doctor who says I either have asthma or COPD, and has given me an inhaler, peak flow meter, medication & chest x-ray, but the fact that he said 'maybe copd' and that it hasn't gone is make me feel really scared. Anyone else been there?

7 Replies

We have all been there! It can be difficult to diagnose asthma and copd and sometimes even more so differentiating between them. Hopefully you haven't got either so I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

If you get any futher chest infections you need to go straight to the doctors and not let it linger on for so long. I did this with my first one coz I didn't know what it was. Take your lungs seriously as they have to last a long time.

Oh nice to meet you by the way. x

yes been there. Please try not to worry until you need to. Worrying will not make a difference in any case. You do not say how old you are, but the fact that you have never smoked makes it fairly unlikely that you have COPD. You many not have been given the correct antibiotic to get rid of a chest infection. This has happened to me before and eventually after a stronger antibiotic my chest infection cleared up. It is great that you are getting an xray done to find out what is going on. Please don't worry for now and do what you dr says. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Best wishesxxx

Yes! I care for my husband who has severe COPD - but on a positive note he has had it for over 13 years, still had a great quality of life, still works full time! Please dont panic - you could call the helpline - You can call the helpline on 03000 030 555 Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. The nurses could explain what you should expect etc. Try not to worry. TAD xxx

Yer i had cold then chest for 5wks got on my t*ts all over xmas newyears should go get stronger antibiogtics if got green crap still from docs was bit scared me self did go tho took ages but went hotshine

Hi, If I was you I would ask the GP to refer me to a respiratory consultant at a hospital which specialises in chest complaints. The hospital will carry out tests and give you a firm diagnosis. GPs are jacks of all trades and masters of none. Good luck.



When all the tests are done you will then find out what is wrong. Hopefully all will be well so please try hard not to worry. You have had sound advice on here already so I just want to wish you well. My hubby has copd (5 years now) and sarcoidosis (24 years) and I am his carer. Try and stay upbeat and let us know how things go. xxxx

Hello welcome to the site, you've come to the right place to find out all you can...at least the doctor has taken your cough seriously and is being thorough in sending you for an x-ray, meanwhile make sure you're drinking plenty of good water and getting plenty of fresh air too, please come back and let us know how you are getting on hotshiningsun, love your name by the way! huff xxx

You may also like...