heart moniter

hi all,still trying to find the right drug dose for my cranky tackycardic heart and been revered back to the heart clinic,looking to buy a wrist heart moniter, the one im looking at is a garmin vivofit charge h r band,which reads the pulse 24hr a day,it will give me peace of mind from the way the way i start awake to find out my readings are 151/94 pulse 120.has anybody thought of using a metre simular to this,it will help to keep me a bit fitter than i am

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi squady no but sounds a good idea sometimes my pulse soars and worries me. I have had it 168. Let me know what you decide xx

• hi suzy6,despite the comments of ribvanrey,i have got the charge monitor i mentioned,and i have had it on for 24hr,for some reason my pulse lifted by twenty points whilst asleep,a good point is the monitor update a computer program every twenty minutes.and you can few the results,i will keep you informed of how i get on with it i have noshed anything and everything i liked,but now ive got to watch it colesteral is 8 got to learn how to count the cals then the moniter with work that as well.look on amazon argos ebay

• A couple of major points. 1) Everyone has changes in their blood pressure throughout the day. Even fit healthy bods. 2) Wrist based blood pressure devices are no way near as accurate as those worn on the upper arm.

Upper arm digital sphygmomanometers, blood pressure machine with an adult size cuff, can now be bought fairly cheaply which do read with reasonable accuracy.

However it is not generally recommended that they are used regularly throughout the day. Apart from anything else they can end up pushing the blood pressure up due to the increased stress of worrying about the readings. So become less useful as a diagnostic.

I do have one of these machines. It cost about £30 but do not recollect where from. It is used as an occasional diagnostic when I do start feeling unwell.

More frequently we use a fingertip Pulse Oximeter (Amazon £17) to check out my pulse if I am seen to either appear too gaunt and grey or am becoming too panicked. Again, this is not used routinely. Just when my care staff or my wife, who is a nurse, feels it would be useful.

I hope this helps with your decision making as to what will be helpful for you.

Regards Rib

• hi,you have some very vallid points.and have a nurse looking out for you,the latest wrist moniters are very close in reading the pulse.my finger tip reads 93 my wrist monitor reads the same,this charge monitor reads the pulse 24hr a day and also plots the readings,thats how i know my pulse went faster when i was asleep by twenty points.

i have the arm band meter as well the difference was one point.

perhaps your wife could advise as to why my pulse should raise when at rest sleeping,could it be sleep apnea,thanks for the reply

• Hi. I certainly will ask. Unfortunately I had been unable to read the replies. They joined the Disappeared. Glad that they are back. Will post later today. Rib

• Hi I gave Ann my phone to read this whole Thread. Like all med staff doesn't like to say without seeing the person BUT, she suggests that you may just be more active during sleep. Some ppl move about a lot more. Her only knowledge of sleep Apnea comes from me. In excess of 500 Apnea per night. She doesn't feel able to help on that one. Ann did say that she thought the kit looked very professional but is unsure how it aught to be used as it is not something that she has trained on. Sorry, the best we can come back with is a bit damp.

Regards Rib

• thanks for the come back,give ann my regards,i can understand and respect what she said

• Hi Rib

I would like to invite you to participate in a study that aims to understand the use of health monitoring devices. The study takes the form of 30 minute telephone interviews which will be undertaken by a researcher from Cambridge Consultants, a medical device consultancy based in Cambridge, UK and scheduled at a time convenient to you. We are looking for COPD patients or also patients that have Congestive Heart Disease for a telephone study next week.

You must be using oxygen therapy and be over 45 years old.

You must use one of the following device to monitor or measure health metrics

Smart watch

Wearable activity tracker/step counter

Wearable blood pressure monitor

Wearable heart-rate monitor

Please send your name, contact number, condition you suffer from, your age and the brand of the device that you are currently using.

We will get back to you asap.

Thank you

• Hello, I've got the opposite problem, too slow. Some time back I did some research into the Garmin Vevofit to see if I could record my heart rate during sleep and I found this.

Hope it helps!

• thanks,its the same principle,but mine is a heart wrist moniter,i am more than pleased with the readings so far,i checked it when i done my sats, and both readings were 93 at rest

• Hi Steve

I would like to invite you to participate in a study that aims to understand the use of health monitoring devices. The study takes the form of 30 minute telephone interviews which will be undertaken by a researcher from Cambridge Consultants, a medical device consultancy based in Cambridge, UK and scheduled at a time convenient to you. We are looking for COPD patients or also patients that have Congestive Heart Disease for a telephone study next week.

Smart watch

Please send your name, contact number, condition you suffer from, your age and the brand of the device that you are currently using.

Thank you

• We are looking for COPD patients or also patients that have Congestive Heart Disease for a telephone study next week.

Smart watch

Thank you

You may also like...