Planning your summer holidays

Are you planning to get away this summer?

I know it can be a stressful time if you have a lung condition, so Carol from the BLF Helpline has put together her advice on how planning can make it as enjoyable and straightforward as possible.

Check it out here -

Have you any more tips or ideas?

2 Replies

• I have printed the checklist off.

I have been told that I need to have a fit to fly test before I go on plane a couple of weeks before I go or I may suffer hypoxia? I do not see how this works that well as it seems a lot of airlines need early notice and only allow one per flight.

I have looked at High speed trains to Barcelona but have no idea how I get past paris as I can book with no problems to there? Hotels are not any problem to do online. I even looked at fright boats taking passengers but they do not have a doctor on board, so not so keen. Cruise is not in our budget and I can only see ferries to Santander?

None of this is going to happen until june 2015 so I hope to get it sorted by then?

• As oxygen usually needs to be booked for the flight well in advance, don't leave it too late. You should ask your consultant/respiratory nurse about a fit-to-fly test asap. Then advise the airline if you will need oxygen during the flight. Thirdly, your consultant should sign a form the airline will provide about 2 weeks before you travel, saying that they agree that you can fly using the oxygen which will be provided.

You may also like...