Last night the Fire Service came round to do a risk assessment as we now have oxygen at home and thought I would share the tips with you - some of which I hadn't thought of!:-
1) Do not leave washing machine or dryer on while out or at bed time - they are the biggest causes of fires in the kitchen! Suggested that we pull out the washing machine and dryer once a year, take the lid off and give them a hoover out.
2) Do not put candles around the bath on the bath surround or on top of TVs - they burn through.
3) Do not have wheelie bins against the house ( I kept my green bins against our back wall!) - apparently when they go up they really do and when the first blast of water is pumped on it has the effect of igniting the fire.
4) Close all doors in the house before you go to bed
5) Do not leave keys in the door at night - he recommended leaving them at the side of your bed and then if you are trapped you can throw the keys out to the firemen and they can easily enter the property!
Great service they installed four smoke detectors AND my youngest daughter got to sit in a fire engine AND tested out the breathing gear!
Have a great day everyone. TAD xx