English Language(Glorious insults)................Please enjoy these all HealthUnlockders

........These glorious insults are from an era before the English language became boiled down to four-letter words..........................

* A member of Parliament to Disraeli: ''Sir. you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease''

''That depends ,Sir'' said Disraeli,''wether I embrace your policies or your mistress.''

* ''He had delusions of adequacy.''-Walter Kerr.

* ''He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.''-Winston Churchill.

* ''I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with pleasure.''-Clarence Darrow.

*''He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.''-William Faulkner(about Ernest Hemmingway).

* ''Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it.''-Moses Hadas.

* ''I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of It,''-Mark Twain.

*''He has no enemies ,but is intensely disliked by his friends.''-Oscar Wilde

*''I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend ,if you have one.''-George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

** ''Cannot possibly attend the first night, will attend the second ,if there is one''-Winston Churchill in response

Join BLF,Join Breathe Easy Details 03000 030 555 Mon-Fri 9am 5pm

Last edited by

31 Replies

• Fabulous, and so witty

Two of my favourites despite being a bit sexist, but were of their day, and v witty

from Winston Churchill, apparently said in Houses of Parliament tho there are some question marks about that

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”

Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”

Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

I love witty men

• They were outrageous in their day

• Thank you both. I enjoyed these and add my favourite from Oscar Wilde.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."

• He was very clever with words

• Enjoyed these immensely. Good for you Ripley - sexist shouldn't come into these classical quotes - give into political correctness and we could lose a lot of history. Love Annie

• They bring back memories as well!

• Lol, you two!

• Thank you for your input Toci

• Loved them!! xx

• We don't use words in that way anymore

• ?

• i.e. if Harlow ended in T it would say......a rude word!

• Yes it would. How naughty

• Great bit of humor (smiles)

• When you're smiling

• I agree with you annieseed

• Brilliant King, it sort of makes you feel good to read such clever wit and wisdom, it reminds you that we do have actually have a civilisation. Adrian

• Are we allowed to express ourselves in such a way nowadays Adrian

• Probably not, Your Majesty. I can see why some expressions/words are now frowned upon but political correctness now rules at the expense of the richness of our mother tongue. (Can I say that?)

• Yes you can!

• Thanks!! X

• Did your mother not have a sharp tongue Eh? KOTC 2013

• :D

• Can't remember who said it but a review on an actress said - she ran the gamut of emotions from a to b.

Another one - at a party the people in the upstairs apartment (social climbers) dropped something heavy on the floor. A woman at a party downstairs said - there they go name dropping again!

bev x

• "She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B". Dorothy Parker, speaking of Katharine Hepburn. :)

• Yes. And didn't she say "a hangover is the wrath of grapes"?

• Nice response

• I like it,I like it bev

• some great quotes folks thank you KOTC for starting the blog and others for adding - would love to add some of mine but too, too tired xx

• I will do another one sometime, so save yours to add as well please undine

You may also like...