British Lung Foundation

Medicines when travelling: restricted list

Hi everyone

Just wondering, if you are on a restricted medicine, when you travel to another country, should you take your prescription with you?

I am on a prescription med from a Belgian doctor that as far as I know is illegal in the UK, not banned but restricted.

Should I bring a photocopy of the prescription with me or shouldn't it be a problem? I am going to be travelling to Spain via France then the UK.

Thanks

xxxxxxxx

The ability to reply to this post has been turned off.
16 Replies
oldestnewest

PS I am actually on two different meds that are often "abused" by bodybuilders, I think that's why they're restricted. I am not a bodybuilder, I was deficient in those things.

xx

I would deffo carry copies of the pres. meds Koala. Better safe than sorry.

You never know, they may not find them if you pack in a hold bag & you'll be ok.

I've not had great experiences in Spain recently. P

I do take controlled drugs; I have to sign a register when collecting my prescription. I think it best to make contact with the authorities in the countries you are travelling through to find out what they require. :)

Sandra x x x

Interesting you sign a register. In Belgium they are freer with meds as far as I can tell. I get my, for example, (anabolic) steroids etc on prescription and compounded by the local pharmacist.

xxx

No, in the UK I have to sign the register for my MST as it is a controlled drug, opiate based.

hi, im uk and have to sign for oxycontin xx

Be interesting to know your outcome.we are going to San Francisco,( hopefully,lungs permitting ) in October to see my boy and new grandson.and I know it's difficult with some meds in USA

Yes, I think the US is much stricter and of course you have to go through a proper border control. Marie had a great idea about getting a doctor to write a letter stating you need those meds and why.

Hope you make it to SF, it's one of the places I'd love to visit. Is your daughter-in-law American?

xxx

She is,and unfortunatly my boy Andrew has got a typical American attitude.the best thing is Ruby,my grand daughter who is 18 months is just talking,and it's so funny to hear 'Hi Grandpa' with that American twang lol

I hope we get there,not seen them since September when they brought her over to see the others,and now Reid has just been born who I want to go see.

Guess the helpline team may possibly know the answer to that one, koala but interesting subject and not something I would have thought of until you mentioned it. :) xx

I was concerned when I went to the US last year. I'm not on restricted meds but none of them were available over the counter. Got a letter from my doctor explaining condition and that I required to travel with them. Maybe something like that might help?

Marie x

Thankyou marie,that's good to know xx

The US can be really strict I've heard although it's easier to get a wide range of meds there.

That is a really good idea about getting a letter from the doctor.

Thanks xxx

hi koala. I went to Portugal 7week ago,took ventolin,seritide and elkira for copd,also tablets for hitus they never even looked in my handbag,but I took my prescription with me in case they did,take care and have a good holiday,

plus a letter of ur gp as marie said ,

for controlled drugs "opiate etc "a letter from the prescribing gp is usually enough,in Europe they usually respect other countries prescribing practices.

The ability to reply to this post has been turned off.

You may also like...