Corticosteroid inhaler without beta agonist

I'd like to reduce my dose of corticosteroid and long acting beta agonist now my asthma is under control again and the weather is too rubbish to give me hayfever.

My GP said the most important thing was the corticosteroid part, she said people with asthma should take that every day to prevent problems later on if not now.

Do you think taking Fluticasone on its own without a beta agonist could be a good idea?

Thanks xxx

15 Replies

• Don't know about your meds koala, but am very pleased that your asthma is under control. :)

And glad your hayfever has settled too, just a shame it is at the expense of a good summer.

love Anna xxxx

• Thank you Anna xxxx

I am usually ok in the summer once it's really hot, but I usually spent summers in Spain where there was far less grass and tree pollen and the air was nice and dry.

It's raining here today, again, so like you said good for the hayfever but a shame this is June and we can't sit outside enjoying the sun.

• I'm pleased to hear you've got your asthma under control, and wonder if continuing your current treatment regime might possibly be the best idea. Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it? It's working for you just now. Best check with your GP to find our his recommendations. Or call the BLF helpline on Monday :)

Sandra x x x

• That's a good point about leaving it once it's ok. Yes, the inhaler is working extremely well for me, that's Flutiform 250/10.

I've got an appointment with my lung doc on 8th July. I will discuss it with him but I bet he will say the same as you! xx

• I wasn't given the choice when I was on asthma treatments. Haven'y had any since I've been on high dose preds!

• I am not truly given the choice either, but the different doctors I have got would be willing to prescribe Fltiicasone alone, in fact one offered it but then we decided to stick to Seretide. Flutiform isn't in Belgium yet then I suppose, as that is what i told here the lung doc had put me on. my lung doc is in Germany but that other doc is in Belgium.

I suppose you're on preds because they changed your diagnosis from asthma to fibrosis? I really hope the pred helps you xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Really glad to hear the asthma is under control and hope the weather is kind to you on the hayfever. No idea on the meds - you need proper advice :) xx

• Thank you Scrobbitty xxxxxxx

Sending you some telepathic chocolate LOL xxx

• Hi,

Asthma is an inflammatory disease. Steroids, brown inhalers, are preventer inhalers as they address the inflammation, which is the underlying problem. If the underlying problem is under control, you are unlikely to need to use your reliever, blue inhaler, bronchodilator, beta agonist whatever you want to call it!

Bear with me whilst i try and explain using a similar example..... Sunburn is an inflammatory disease of the skin. The preventer ...the sun tan lotion will prevent the inflammation...the after sun would be the reliever....if the preventer works younwould not need to usee the reliever....

Hope this helps

• Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your very helpful response.

I actually meant the long acting beta agonist, so in Flutiform that is formoterol:

and in Seretide that is salmeterol:

I am usually on Seretide but was put on Flutifrom recently, and at a higher dose, the highest they do.

I haven't got a brown inhaler, but suspect you mean Becotide? I had that when I was younger, about twenty years ago. Then the blue one must be Ventolin, and yes, I've still got that but try not to use it and generally don't. That is, like you said, a beta agonist (reliever) but short acting as opposed to the long acting ones in Seretide and Flutiform.

So yes, I agree with your conclusion ie if the preventer works you wouldn't need a reliever. That is also the basis to my whole question, it's just that I don't mean Ventolin but formetorol or salmeterol, so instead of Flutiform or Seretide I would just take Fluticasone.

koala xxxxxxx

• Hi,

I may be being a bit thick but both seretide and flutiform contain two active ingredients, a steroid and a laba (long acting beta agonist)

If you are being prescribed either inhaler and using as prescribed you can't not take the laba without taking the steroid.

Combinations are supposed to complement each other, by some magical mechanism. If you are on high dose flutiform i suggest you use it for a couple and make sure it suits you!, if you asthma remains controlled or improves then have the conversation with your GP about reducing the dose and stepping down. This is a clinical decision but if you have any worries about a lifetime of steroids or labas go on record with your gp after having a chat with the blf nurses!

I hope this help! Right back to saturday night in front of the tv.

• Typo couple of months

• I would consult your gp and the BLF hepline.

There are preventer inhalers the brown ones , and short or long acting relievers and combinations of both! (I think.) you need professional advice first in my opinion

• hi knitter,

Yes, I think you're right, I need to ask my lung doc. My GP was willing to prescribe what I decided on, but I had asked her for Flutiform as the lung doc had out me on it, but that wasn't in her computer so she offered Fluticasone or Seretide. We went for Seretide but then when I got home I started thinking her first suggestion could actually be better, just Fluticasone.

I will get back to you all after my lung doc appointment

• I wonder if you could maintain your asthma control with just a steroid inhaler and use the blue short acting reliever if you need it.

Fluticasone is the steroid one I guess, is that right? Seretide is a combination of steroid and long lasting reliever? If your doctor prescribed Fluticasone you would need the short acting Ventolin or Bricanyl in case of an exacerbation or an emergency. You would need to ask for professional advice though.

I had to take my peak flow reading twice a day and make a chart to show my gp and consultant that my asthma was under control, and contact the surgery if the peak flow fell too low, or go to A&E if my breathing worsened. Have you got a Peak Flow meter, if not you can ask for one from your gp.

Did you ring the BLF helpline, they will be better informed than me

You may also like...