Should I tell the DWP about my COPD that I have just been diagnosed with?

At present I get higher mobility/lower care components. I have rheumatoid arthritis-for approx 16 years, I suffer from depression & panic attacks, also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 2 years ago & now COPD. I am petrified of changing from DLA to PIP because I know that ATOS are turning down so many claims, so many people are commiting suicide, etc. My hubby who is also my carer at present gets WRAG benefit that will stop in November (he has an appeal in), would it be better for me to try for higher care allowance & he to claim carers allowance? I'm so upset & worried about all of this that it is making my depression worse & I'm suffering more panic attacks, this applies to my husband too.

8 Replies

• Have a chat with the BLF Helpline team, they can advise you on what to do as benefits can be such a complex issue. They are open 10am-6pm, Mon-Fri, on 03000 030 555 or drop them an email -

• Thankyou for the information Gordon.

• Very sad to say the more you wrong with you the better your case,,i do agree with gordon,,better to ph the helpline :)

• Thankyou for tour help.

• I can only support the good suggestions of Gordon57 and Raptor. Call the BLF helpline. They are really good. Bob xx

• Thanks very much for your input.

• Hi just to add on to this post it would depend on what benefits you claim e.g. it may lead to an increase in DLA/PIP if you care and mobility needs have increased.

so please do give us a call

• Thanks very much, I will call soon.

You may also like...