Is Heart Failure Classed as a Disabil... - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation

29,666 members19,419 posts

Is Heart Failure Classed as a Disability?

Curlyman83 profile image

Title says it all really.

13 Replies

Hello :-)

I think it maybe how bad it is and how it affects you

Some can have heart failure and with treatment get on with life as normal so I would think then it would not come under a Disability and some can have it and it affects their life where they can no longer do the things they could and need help

Others no doubt that know so much more on here will be able to tell you and sure they will when they log on this is just how I see it :-) x

Milkfairy profile image
MilkfairyHeart Star

Are you asking because you are considering claiming, a disability benefit, such as a Personal Independence Payment?

Curlyman83 profile image
Curlyman83 in reply to Milkfairy

No. I think I’m being discriminated against at work as I can no longer do things I could do before. If it’s classed as a disability, then my employer would have to make reasonable adjustments.

If you have a Human Resources team at work ask to speak to an advisor - best with your manager present & discuss your heart problems & how it effects you. Take any letters you have from your cardiologist so you can tell them what heart problems you have plus a list of your medication as they can impact on your ability to do some tasks. Put a claim in for Personal Independence Payments - can take up to 3 months to be processed but the payments may help compensate for reducing your hours at work. also read up about disability discrimination act yourself so you know what reasonable adjustments you’d like your employer to consider. Good luck.

Oh they’re only too aware of my condition and have a full list of my medication. I’m the works union rep so I think the boss sees this as a possibility of payback.

tapfoot profile image
tapfoot in reply to Curlyman83

You're probably right about their motivation. Best of luck and don't give up as long as you have the energy to fight them. In the words of Tony Benn 'There is just the same battle. To be fought over and over again. ' I won't add the rest because you're already tough enough given your union rep commitment.

Have you actually had a meeting or requested one with them to discuss your case, if not, you need to.

Have you got a copy of your company's policy and procedures with regards working with a disability? Use that as the foundation for any communication you have. Ultimately if you don’t go through the process any potential tribunal claim wouldn't be successful or at least harmed if the company hasn't had the opportunity to respond to your requests.

I've not set up a meeting yet. I did have a risk assessment put in place in the summer that was to be "reviewed weekly" but these reviews have yet to materialise. I think that'll be my starting point.

It's just really deflating knowing that you can no longer maintain the standards you once achieved, and that people view you in a different way because of it. I don't know if this is all in my head but I feel like a liability now rather than someone who is dependable.


If an agreement has been made and is not being actioned then certainly that is a good starting point. It is your responsibility to drive those meetings/reviews as much it is your employers though. As I said previously, keep a diary of everything just in case you go down the tribunal route. Aswell, involve those in your union with employment law experience, have them support you in any meetings you have. They must have an advice line for you to use. ACAS is another good place for support.

Good luck to you, stay positive.

Milkfairy profile image
MilkfairyHeart Star in reply to Curlyman83

I agree with FiftyNotOut you are covered under the Equality Act 2010.

As you are a Union rep I suggest you seek further advice from your union.

Take notes of what is happening and how you feel you are being discriminated against. Taking out a grievance procedure is a possibility but certainly not easy.

I am sorry you are in this situation. Make sure you have some support from you union and perhaps contact Citzens Advice too.

Under the Equality Act 2010 you’re classed as disabled if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

I don’t know what your work involves, but there may be adjustments your employer can make - eg I’ve been signed off nightshifts.

Are you in a union? That can help. I’m pushing for an occupational health referral. Basically you need advocates who can help advise you and get you the support you need.

The BHF website has some good advice.

I’m the union rep. Thanks for this.


Ask them what they can do to help you, they may not be fully aware of your circumstances.

Think about what you need with regards reasonable adjustments and why. Think about what they might say as a response to your request so it shows you've considered them from all sides.

Ultimately its better to communicate first should things develop to a discrimination claim down the line.

Diary, bullet point your conversations so you have a record.


You may also like...