Been told long long wait for vaccine ... - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation

24,666 members16,447 posts

Been told long long wait for vaccine as not Vulnerable ?

Sootycat
Sootycat

Hi Folks

I just wanted to gauge opinion in case I am being a bit precious.

I belong to a Dr's practice that shares a building with another Dr's practice in Scotland.

I have had a difficult few months. 6 months ago massive heart attack 3 hospitals in 24 hours. 3 blocked arteries a ruptured stump ! 3 stents fitted. Back in hospital Dec for another angiogram. Diagnosed with Angina and Microvascular angina. I have asthma on two inhalers plus a nebuliser plus intermittent steroids. Diabetes on metformin. Familial clotting and several other health problems. High BP high cholesterol. Weigh 17 stone. Bad arthritis. Age 62.

I finally got to see my Dr last week. I asked if I would have my vaccine soon they said no. Nowhere near. I was not classed as vulnerable.

I got quite upset and was told I was many weeks away. If not months.

The surgery next door has done all over 80' s over 70's over 60's and this week are doing all 20 - 50 year olds. My friends fit healthy mountaineering son whose 23 goes in tomorrow.

Am I just being selfish as I don't want to do that ? What should I do.

127 Replies

Absolutely not selfish, you could try online, worked for me, I’m in group 6 high risk, got both jabs booked, i googled NHS covid vacation, then answered a few simple questions including nhs number, then got a choice of where and when, in my case only waited a few days, hope it works for you 🤞🙂

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Magicfairy

Hi there

thank you for taking the trouble to contact me. I just did exactly as you said but still no joy. It says I have to be 64. Also registered in England. It seems Scotland is way behind on all this. I feel like I have been either ill or shielding for months. My Doctors surgery are horrible I am sad to say. I get panic attacks and feel sick even at the thought of ringing them. thanks for trying xxxx

Lucymoo
Lucymoo in reply to Sootycat

You are entitled to change your doctors if you are really unhappy with them. Maybe go to the one next door

Can you change your doctor he doesnt sound very nice or capable.

See above they are just a nightmare. Its all stress and more anxiety but I think I will have to be braver than I am now xxx

Sunnie2day
Sunnie2day in reply to Sootycat

I'm a Scot in Scotland, female aged 64 with multiple heart conditions (all mild-ish if I'm careful about meds and lifestyle) and a few non-heart related conditions. I was put on the extremely vulnerable list at first then removed after my cardiologist and neurologist (I have Essential Tremor in addition to the heart factors) decided I could manage without being on the official list.

And I've been told it may be months before I am jabbed so I should continue taking the precautions I'm taking on top of the lockdown ones. While I'm happy for others when I hear or read they've got their jabs, I confess to a wee pang - knowing I have months to wait is not a happy thing to know!

Alessa69
Alessa69 in reply to Sunnie2day

Hoping that you will be getting your vaccination soon ! It all seems so random in different parts of the Country . No one needs extra stress and worry . Surely if you have been in the shielding list , you should have been included in Group 6 ? It seems to be a postcode lottery !

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Sunnie2day

That is exactly like me. You poor thing. Yes you get a little twang on your heartstrings. I rang the Scottish helpline today which is a different one to the .Gov one and the operative said What ! you cannot be serious and has sent an email detailing my list of illnesses. I have no idea where it has been sent but we shall see. I am so glad for every one else getting done but its just so awful being told you wont be done for weeks isn't it. Good Luck xxxxx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Sootycat

oops that was for Sunnietoday

Just read your post again, wow! You have been through the mill, hope you’re feeling like you are on the mend?, still early days take care x

You are fully within the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable group - see Table 3 of the Green Book. gov.uk/government/publicati... That puts you in Group 6, though you're in Group 7 on age alone. Show that to your Doctor and ask them to notify that you're CEV

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Cliff_G

I rang the Scottish helpline today which is a different one to the .Gov one and the operative said What ! you cannot be serious and has sent an email detailing my list of illnesses. I have no idea where it has been sent but we shall see. I also didn't come up on the system either. We can hope xx

That sounds really wrong, over 60s are supposed to be getting their letters over the next few weeks, I too am in Scotland. I am over 70 and had mine 2 weeks ago. I would certainly try the website as Magicfairy says. You need your vaccination sooner rather than later.

Pauline

That doesn’t doubt right? I have asthma and had my first vaccine last week.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Catatvet05

They said I am not on continuous steroids so it does not count. I am banging my head on a brick wall I am afraid to say even though I am on a steroid inhaler for 45 years

Catatvet05
Catatvet05 in reply to Sootycat

It would be on your system at the GP. I would push for it and contact practice manager?

kalgs
kalgs in reply to Sootycat

Steroids have nothing to do with it .

JennyRx
JennyRx in reply to kalgs

If you have uncontrolled asthma and have to use oral steroids regularly and/or have been hospitalised in the last two years with asthma, that counts. If it’s controlled by steroid inhaler your risk from Covid is the same as non asthmatics. Biggest risk for this patient comes from the diabetes and obesity. A GP can use their clinical judgment to add or remove a patient from the CEV list. Some choose not to even consider this option.

kalgs
kalgs in reply to JennyRx

The original post said he couldn’t have the vaccine because he wasn’t prescribed steroids. I said steroids are not a requirement to have the vaccine.

Debtyd
Debtyd in reply to kalgs

No maybe not,but surely microvascula angina along with hf ha asthma and diabetes and all the other ailments this poor human has accumulated makes it at least a category 6 doesn't it????

kalgs
kalgs in reply to Debtyd

Of course . Seems something it’s not right . The point about 20 year olds being vaccinated without underlying health conditions??

I must admit I’m confused by the original post .

Debtyd
Debtyd in reply to kalgs

Yes I get what you mean.but I've just rechecked{Just in case I made myself look like a wally} and cat.6 is indeed 16-65yr old with underlying health issues including asthma that has been treated regular with systemic steroids (oral or injection)not inhaler.. 3scripts in last 3 months.or an emergency admittion for treatment of asthma.it also says anyone who has underlying probs that could possibly incur serious illness or worse if infected with covid 19.i agree tgat the guidelines are quite unclear mostly and it took some body here to explain the vulnerable categories a bit better so i could even slightly get the idea...i also don't see how young fit and healthy people no past no immediate connection to a vulnerable person or frontline workers are getting vaccines before the category 6 people..but I actually do know a fair few people who have had their 1st lot ages ago doesn't seem to be checks on tgis but I read that "queue jumpers"Will be chased up eventually and may face prosecution....how true that is I've no idea....im happy to wait😁I can't have flu jab cos I just get a worse dose of flu lol x

kalgs
kalgs in reply to Debtyd

No prosecution for queue “ jumpers” because it’s not been illegal activity . Many non front line staff have been invited to avoid vaccine waste . It’s also clear that the system has allowed people to be vaccinated ahead of their group .In relation to the original post . Of course he can be vaccinated. I don’t think it’s a clear picture .

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to kalgs

I can categorically assure you I cannot. Absolute total refusal. 100%. I rang the helpline and they are looking into it for me they were so shocked. sent me a form to fill in which I have done and sent in. Natalie

Sootycat

Tell me how I have confused you and I will do my best to be clearer as I must admit to being very down at the moment. So not firing on all cylinders xx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Debtyd

Thank you xxxxxxxx Natalie x

Sootycat

My Doctor said to me on Wednesday that because I was just on the inhalers and nebuliser and spacer and my use of oral steroids were down, I was not vulnerable. The heart attack, angina, coronary heart disease, diabetes, 19 x Dvt and 3 x PE plus morbidly obese doesn't count quote !!! I honestly thought how ill do you have to be. Natalie x

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to JennyRx

You are correct. I use oral steroids as well but not so often this last year. 2 years ago I was in hospital for 8 days in a private room with asthma flu and pneumonia. That doesn't count either apparently. These things are sent to try us !

Dora-123
Dora-123 in reply to Sootycat

I too am in Scotland and recently diagnosed with unstable angina awaiting a stent. I am 61 and I’m having my vaccination this Friday. Cannot understand why your doctor is saying you will have a long wait!!! I would speak to the practice manager.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Dora-123

I rang the Scottish helpline today which is a different one to the .Gov one and the operative said What ! you cannot be serious and has sent an email detailing my list of illnesses. I have no idea where it has been sent but we shall see. It just seems so disorganised. But I certainly want others worse off ahead of me. My friends son in another surgery is being 'done' tomorrow. hes 23. No health issues they have just caught up on all their older and vulnerable patients.

Debtyd
Debtyd in reply to Sootycat

I hope they sort it out for you asap then you know where you are and might be able to sit back and take your mind off the it even just for a bit....💜xDebx

Milkfairy
MilkfairyHeart Star

Hi Sootycat,

You are in no way being precious. As Cliff_G has already stated you most certainly do fit into the clinically vulnerable group 6.

I live in London.

I live with vasospastic angina my husband with coronary heart disease.

We both had our covid vaccinations together last week.

How are vaccinations arranged in Scotland?

I am aware that responsibility for Health is devolved to the Scottish Parliament so perhaps contact your local MSP?

Not sure where you are getting your information but I suggest you check this. It is not local or individual GP practices that are organizing vaccines. This is being run by regional NHS Scotland in conjunction with government guidelines

Nowhere in Scotland are vaccinating under 50 year olds unless they are a high risk or vulnerable or work in care

Suggest you visit nhsinform.scot/covid19vacci....

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to gilreid1

I can give you the name and address of people I know with appointments. My Dr herself told me I was not vulnerable. I was very upset. She said neither was my husband who has bad asthma had pneumonia twice and other illness. I did ask the forum if I was selfish and I would step back for anyone iller and more vulnerable. Now I feel a real fraud. Sorry

gilreid1
gilreid1 in reply to Sootycat

No you are not a fraud. You are like most of us really afraid of the unknown. Please check the link I posted it will give all the information you need. You can even speak to helpful advisors

Take care

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to gilreid1

I have written down the phone number from your helpful link and will ring in the morning. Thank you xx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Sootycat

I rang the Scottish helpline today which is a different one to the .Gov one and the operative said What ! you cannot be serious and has sent an email detailing my list of illnesses. I have no idea where it has been sent but we shall see. I filled in the form they sent and have sent it in as well. In some parts of Scotland it is being administered differently to the way Highlands is doing it which is only through your doctor. The guy on the phone said I filled 3 of the criteria. I have no faith in our Surgery, no faith at all since they told me I was not having a heart attack and I had one on the Doctors steps when I left. And they did not do my referral for 27 weeks because they ''forgot''. I think they feel I am just a nuisance.

Brussels
Brussels in reply to gilreid1

Think it’s a mixed approach in Scotland. Some practices are managing vaccinations but the majority are run by the health board.

The Scottish National Vaccination helpline will reschedule an appointment but they can’t make an appt from scratch ( I have rung them! ).

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Brussels

Oh dear. Back to square one !

Brussels
Brussels in reply to Sootycat

I looked up the COVID vaccine helpline number for my local Health Board and got an appt that way. Its probably worth a try.

The National helpline can’t tell you anything different than the information on their website! When you are in the telephone queue the recorded message literally tells you that.

Sootycat

They were so nice and so helpful and gave me another number and a form

gilreid1
gilreid1 in reply to Brussels

But they will advise

Sootycat

I rang today and the young man was so kind and so helpful. he gave me another number to ring where they went through the criteria, they sent me a form to fill in and I have emailed it in. I am Highlands which is Drs only not health board. Mores the shame !

Brussels
Brussels in reply to Sootycat

That’s great to hear, I hope you get your vaccine soon.

Debtyd
Debtyd in reply to gilreid1

Forgive me for saying that both the main nhs hub and local gps are offering vaccination appointments....i only know because my mum (70yrs)had been sent nhs notification telling her to contact them for a designated vaccination hub.then her diabetic nurse advised to await a gp notification as the nhs nrest hub is actually around 15-20miles away {I know right??}and she wouldn't be able to get there.so she 2aited and sure enough her invite from local gp came through offering her our local hub which is only 4miles down the road....crazy but it's true xx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Debtyd

Problem is I am Highlands and our area is run by Doctors only, unfortunately. I would travel 100 miles if I had to but its the local Doc or nothing. Hope your mum is ok xx

hi. i’m also in scotland. suffer from most of your ailments and also 62. i go for jab on thursday. i’d change gp if i was you. loads in my area have got appointments with various conditions and alit younger. you need to shout loud. i also don’t think scotland is way behind in anything. we’re already vaccinating group seven. good luck in your quest

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Shoshov

I know I am such a coward. We only have the choice of 2 surgeries and one is full. I will try and summon the courage xx

No you are not a coward,I feel so sorry for you. I hope you will follow good advice from here and please don't give up. I'm sure you have valid reason to have your vaccination right now. I'm sorry you've had so many health problems & pray for better health for you. Meanwhile be strong and insist on being given the vaccination. I wish you good luck and better health. Much love to you xxx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to valezio

Valenzio your answer touched my heart❤ xxc

080311 in reply to Sootycat

Morning Sootycat

Have been reading your posts, so sorry you have had such terrible support from your GP. I am in Scotland like you, I was listening to Nicola Sturgeon one lunch time news update. She was talking about vaccinations one thing she did say was that if anyone was having problems getting the injection they could email her! Now don’t have that address but you should be able to find it on the government website. Letters for the over sixties are going out now, but a quick email wouldn’t go amiss.

As for being a coward that’s rubbish, you are a very strong woman and doing the best for you and your husband. I and my husband are in our 70s so had our jags 2 weeks ago, I am his carer and when I saw that needle go in his arm it was sheer relief! We are very lucky to have a great GP surgery, I know you say you can’t change doctors as there is no alternative, and that must be so difficult.

Hoping you hear something really soon.

Best wishes Pauline

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to 080311

Hi Pauline, I know I am repeating other replies sorry ! I rang the Scottish helpline today which is a different one to the .Gov one and the operative said What ! you cannot be serious and has sent an email detailing my list of illnesses. I have no idea where it has been sent but we shall see. Just to hear a kind voice was nice, and the young man was very sweet. A spoonful of sugar definitely helps the medicine go down......but not when your diabetic lol xxxxxxxxx thank you x

I can't believe that, your Dr is an idiot. I'm sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous. Have you not had and email about shielding from your government. I have heart failure, LBBB, diabetes and my bmi is to high. I got a email (yes it is genuine as I spoke to my gp surgery and they have the email too) from NHS Department of Health &Social Care as I'm now on the updated shielding patient list which means You can have your Vaccine. Ring your Dr again speak to a different Dr, you should've had it by now. 🙄😁

Debtyd
Debtyd in reply to Tink35

I agree Tink... it's diabolical treatment especially to somebody who is quite obviously anxious about the whole rigmarole.i actually remember now why I gave up care work cos sometimes the system really tests your temperament.my poor old mum is more of a technophobe than I am and she wouldn't have a clue about emails etc...they just assume everybody has internet access and the equipment to do so...total madness.... xx

Hi again I've just read your reply about the Scottish Parliament being behind. Speak to your local representative.

I, like you was getting very anxious that I had not heard. I am 63 and had a stroke caused by AF 18 months ago, meaning I am in group 6. My friend, in her mid 50's with no underlying health conditions had her jab on Saturday, we are both with the same GP practice. I sent an email to the practice on Monday asking how patients were being proritised and mentioned about my friend. Yesterday morning I got a phone call offering me an appointment next week. Might be an idea to send an email, at least it might be seen by another GP in the practice and of course it will be written evidence. Good luck.

Alessa69
Alessa69 in reply to Vrouse

Good idea Vrouse ! Putting it in writing , just listing the facts ( that way it takes out the emotion ) can sometimes be very powerful , and it’s there on record . Remind them that you are your husband’s Carer too . I’m appalled that your Doctor has such a lack of empathy & people skills to make you feel so bad .

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Vrouse

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I have emailed the Dr's twice in the last 2 years on other health issues and they didn't reply. So I rang them and they said quote "they don't reply to emails". I went to the Dr's in July with armpit and chest pain. I said it was terrible. I thought I might be having a heart attack. The Dr said I was fine. I got up walked through the waiting room up the steps and had a massive heart attack in the road and at my car in the Dr's car park. I could keep you here all day😥 xxxx

Vrouse
Vrouse in reply to Sootycat

I think its time to raise an official complaint, ring the surgery and ask for their complaints policy and then change GP. Fingers crossed you get the vaccine soon, the anxiety caused by hearing others getting it when you've not heard, is awful.

Alessa69
Alessa69 in reply to Sootycat

My goodness! What an absolute nightmare! Sounds like GP practise is a bit behind the times in terms of training ! Surely your Cardiologist must have a duty of care here ? It’s hard to credit that people are struggling with such bad care . Really sad, you will need to be your own advocate . Had you thought about contacting the Health Board re a possible complaint ?

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Alessa69

I do not have a cardiologist or a cardiac nurse, no one. For 7 months. I finally got a consultant to ring my local hospital and ask them to put me on the cardiology waiting list. He even rang my doctors at 9am in the morning and asked them to do another referral, which they forgot to do 27 weeks earlier. I am at the point of desperation with them, but I don't want to complain as they may be vindictive. I am at a low ebb at the moment and my husbands depression is awful. Feel a bit vulnerable sorry.

Handel
Handel in reply to Sootycat

So sorry you're having all this trouble. It's just not fair! I hope you get your vaccine soon -goodness knows your really should have had it by now. Thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for you. Love and virtual hugs on the way to you xxxx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Handel

That is so lovely thank you......Natalie xx

It’s a strange and chaotic system. My partner 58 has her vaccination this Friday, no underlying issues. Many of her work colleagues in their 40’s have had theirs already. Meanwhile I’m waiting 62.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to No11

If only we knew why. It must just be different surgeries. A horrible Russian roulette xx

Not selfish,I also live in Scotland Age 61 and have heart failure also not had vaccination yet,like you a lot of my friends an relatives much younger,no health issues have had theirs.At first I didnt mind waiting but hearing that younger and fitter folk are receiving theirs is very frustrating.Hope you hear back soon

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to ahk59

Exactly. It's making my gastritis and diverticulitis unbearable. I'm so anxious.

ahk59
ahk59 in reply to Sootycat

I know,I have been isolating on my own since Sept,my Husband an Daughter stay with family as they still out an about working and didnt want to bring virus home.They drop my groceries at the door.Every day I look out for the post for that evasive invitation.Stay well an hope u hear from them soon

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to ahk59

Good luck hope you hear soon. xx

Hello Sootycat,You are NOT a fraud or coward. Your GP doesn't seem a decent person, my first thoughts for you would be change practice and contact local SMP and write to whoever is in charge of your current practice, even if you get appt. for jab complain this is not good enough for you.l

Loads of love.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to pjw17

Oh if only you knew my battles with them. Its wearing me down. And I am not brave.

This does not seem right . How can you say a fit young man was vaccinated and you have not . You actually fall in to group 6 . That group is being vaccinated across the UK at the moment .

The NHS Is not vaccinating young healthy adults at the moment .

This is perplexing me .

Sootycat

The other surgery is ahead of its targets. So moved everyone up. I am so pleased for them. But I worry for myself. Xxx

kalgs
kalgs in reply to Sootycat

How can this be correct “ My friends fit healthy mountaineering son whose 23 goes in tomorrow.“

Are you sure about his status ?

Sootycat

100 %

Where are you in Scotland, as each health board seems to have a different approach. In Grampian the GPS surgeries only did the over 80s and everyone else is being vaccinated at regional centres. Grampian have put out an online enquiry for to use if you think you have been missed. My 41 yr old daughter who is in group 6 due to a DVT has her appointment on 8th March.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Janma123

I have Familial clotting and had 19 dvts and 3 PE's I give up. 😪

Alessa69

Are you able to email the Cardiology Team

who were responsible for your care ? It certainly seems as though you are not being given the help & reassurance that you need

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Janma123

I am Highlands. I rang the helpline and they sent me a form which I have filled in and sent off. Lets hope it works. xxx

Janma123
Janma123 in reply to Sootycat

That’s good 🤞

Hi sootycat.

What nonsense🙄 if you are not vulnerable then who is 😔 seriously your GP needs to be exam himself, sorry to say. No your not being selfish and I think you should insist and push to get one.

Good morning Sootycat,

I’m so sorry that you are going through such a tough time and so much worry. I would write an email, clearly listing all the facts , and info that your G. P has given you,exactly as spoken . Ask what CEV Category you have been placed in ? Do remember to also to include that you are your husband’s Carer. I would then send it to to Practise Manager at your G. P surgery, a copy to your MSP and definitely a copy to Nichola Sturgeon as suggested and your NHS Health board . Stick to listing the facts, be polite . I hope you get a good result . I totally understand your stress. I’m 68 , similar heart & lung issues, Carer to my 84 yr old husband ,had mine 10 days ago .

Good luck, you are definitely not being precious! Try to stay calm, hopefully, you will get some news very fast .

I really wish you well, I know how scary it all is . You need to just concentrate on making a good recovery from major personal health scare .

I’m sorry to say that your G. P does not sound as though they possess great communication & people skills , how sad .

Good Luck with all, sending you our love ❤️

Sootycat

You are so very kind and supportive. Do you know I am just so tired. Tired of it all and now these new panic attacks when I ring the Dr. I feel like giving up.

Alessa69

That’s why it’s easier to take your time , and write an email when you are feeling up to it ! Doesn’t need to be too long, just state the facts .

If it was me , I would jot down what I want to say on a bit of paper , then re- check details , then transfer it on to an email . I spent large part working of my working life having to deal with a big range of customer problems , and dealing with staff all over the World . If you put what you need to say in a easy format email , keep It polite , but don’t give up ! I’m sure that you will get a positive response soon 🙏❤️🙏

Sootycat

Thank you for such constructive support. It is marvellous. I will say here what I have said to a couple of other people so do forgive me if you have read this a few times.

I rang the helpline today who gave me another number who I rang and they were so kind and so helpful. The young chap read me the list and I was yes to rather a lot of them ! So he sent me a form I filled in this afternoon and sent in. O hope it helps. I hate pushing. It goes against the grain. Thank you for your time xxx Natalie

Alessa69

I hope that this works for you lovely lady . I’m just so very sorry that your GP practise seems to have been so uncaring , it just seems so wrong ! My parents were from Perth, had many relatives in the Highlands . It just seems that your Doctors have had very sloping shoulders re your care a over period of time . Stay strong, you need to use your strength to recover from heart troubles . Stress does not help at all, it’s so debilitating . Just stay positive, I will keep

you in our 🙏❤️🙏for best recovery result . I hope that you will get the Cardiac re-hab care and support that will help you . Xxx

I would ring the doctors surgery you like for advice and see if you can go on a waiting list to be transferred to them if they allow it and ring the number suggested. Good luck don't loose hope ! 🤞

Have you looked at this post ?

nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vac...

nhsnss.org/services/our-cov...

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Merlio18

I have a government number to ring today. I will do it now xxxx

Alessa69

Keeping everything crossed for you ! Please let us know how it goes ? 🙏❤️🙏

Hi SootycatThere’s an online form for those in Scotland to use if they think they should have been vaccinated by now. Might be worth trying if you haven’t already done this.

invitations.vacs.nhs.scot/

Best of luck!

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to hyggegirl

Oh not seen that. I used to be quite clever now I feel muddled with no confidence. Will look now.

hyggegirl
hyggegirl in reply to Sootycat

It’s not easy to find, that’s why I thought it worth posting. I only found because I’m in same position, not yet received vaccine but CEV ( recent heart transplant).

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to hyggegirl

Good grief and heres me moaning I am now telling myself to shut up !! My word what is going on. There is no rhyme or reason to all this. I have a feeling I filled in today, the form you mention, that one of the phone numbers I rang sent me today. I hope you get yours soon, I really do and will say a little prayer for you tonight. xxxx

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been through the mill. I had an MI last year(nothing major like yours) and have CAS and MVA also Asthma. I’m 57 and live in England. I was vaccinated last week early on when our surgery started on group 6 vulnerable. Yes, you should be in the priority group.First of all, go onto the NHS book a Coronavirus vaccine site. I’m assuming Scotland have the same site and try and book through there. If that fails, ring 119 to see if they can help. If no luck, I’d speak to my GP surgery again. From what I understand, they can add people to their list.

Please let us know how you get on.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Duffi2010

Oh Duffi it is all different here. I did get so much help from people on here and I rang one of the numbers who gave me another number and they were so kind. Talked to me for ages checked all the criteria, sent me a form. The only thing is in the Highlands we don't go through the health board its the Drs so I am just waiting to see what happens. Its all so chaotic.

Agree completely. Time to become a complete pain in the neck. Lots of emails. Send one every day to all the people mentioned, plus the local community councillors, town councillors, local newspapers and the local TV station. If you know any Solicitors who will let you copy them in - do so.

Are you a member of the local Women's institute? If you are a member, get them going as well and ask them to send emails as well. Ask the local medical health for a written statement regarding their vaccination policy. Throw a few verbal bricks in the pond and watch the ripples spread.

The local elections are coming up soon and there will be lots of competing politicians on the loose, scavenging for votes. Make sure they know about your problem and see what they can do for you. Don't get mad - get even.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Ianc2

I wish I had half your strength. I used to. I was an advocate for everyone. Now the batteries are wearing low. I will do as you suggest as there is a local patient charity near here who help. I will speak to them tomorrow. The PAAS advisor rang me today and said complain complain complain. I hate complaining but looks like I will have no choice. Thank you for your advice.

I too am in Scotland and recently diagnosed with unstable angina awaiting a stent. I am 61 and I’m having my vaccination this Friday. My neighbour who is 60 and asthmatic and diabetic is also having hers on Friday. Both our GP practice and NHS Scotland are doing the vaccinations here. Cannot understand why your doctor is saying you will have a long wait!

Wow can’t believe that. I think it’s the luck of the draw with GP surgeries. My friends husband had a heart attack last year and a stent fitted has been called for the vaccine and my friend was told we may as well get you done at the same time??? I have been diagnosed with heart failure, on all the meds, EF of 25 - 30%. due to have a CRT device fitted as soon as normal surgery resumes. My surgery is same as yours admin have said I am not vulnerable. I am getting anxious as I don’t want to challenge them.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Aurora0

That is exactly how I am. You worry you will be targeted I already feel bullied. You feel so powerless and vulnerable. I hope you get it sorted out and soon. Chin up xxxxxxxx

I am in Lanarkshire, Scotland and my husband and I both have appointments for Sunday. We are 63 and neither of our medical conditions seem as complex as yours. My upstairs neighbour of the same age who had a malignant abdominal sarcoma removed 2 years ago and takes immunosuppressants meds for an auto immune arthritic disorder was told by her GP practice she was not priority??

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Hatchjd

Oh it just gets worse. What is going on. I wish I could just make it all right for everybody. The whole system is unfair there seems to be no answer xxx

contact your consultant at hospital (or their secretary more likely!) directly & ask them - ring hospital & ask for their contact details & explain - this should short circuit

Would love to if I had one !!! Still waiting since July 1st with the exception of the private consultation my friend paid for out of the money her husband left her. I rang cardiology waiting list and I am still at the bottom. I thought I might ring the private one again but I feel now that I am being cheeky and I cannot ask my friend to pay again.

Hi I also live in Scotland and my Dr also shares a building with another practice, when I was discharged from the jubilee last year they refused to prescribe my immunosuppressants! I had to change practice to get them it was just awful, after being a patient for 54 years I was left high and dry and so stressed, I actually changed to the other practice in the same building they had no problems prescribing my meds,it might be worth doing that it was very easy to do I just gave them my details over the phone,I am 62 but my new practice forgot to put me on the vulnerable list for the vaccine once I phoned them they apologised and I got it within a few days, I know the over 65's have all been vaccinated here but I haven't heard of anyone younger without a health condition getting it, the town hall is a centre for it, I hope you can get yours soon if you want to ask me anything please message take care char

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Thanksnhs

Do you know I wonder if you are in the same town as me. !! That was fascinating to read and so familiar. You may have been in the Jubilee same time as me. My heart attack was July 1st. I have still no cardiologist or cardiac rehab or cardiac nurse. Do you ? I don't know how to do a message on here but I will look to see if I can find it xxxxx

Goodness that doesnt make sense. Of course you are not being precious. You are vulnerable. I would go back again and insist you have your vaccine as soon as possible and ask him why you are not considered "vulnerable" He sound a bit like a "nit wit"!

And the annoying thing is its a woman Doctor !!!

It seems to be pretty random. I had an MI 4-years ago, now have AF and diabetes. My wife has MS, yet we are about the only people in our village not to have been vaccinated.

We watch our neighbours returning to their daily routine (not that any of them stuck to lock down regulations anyway) while we continue to shelter. At least they can help us with shopping now.

Our GP surgery is not permitted to discuss the vaccine, according to the recorded message on their phone line.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to JK5AEO

All I can say is its Bl**dy ridiculous. So soul destroying. I really hope you get sorted out soon x

Hi, I am in a similar position. I am 64 and live in Wales. Heart attack 6 months ago, 10 days in hospital, 4 stents. I have asthma, diabetes, autoimmune disease but am not obese.

My wife is 50, obese but in good health has just had her covid jab.

I contacted my surgery to ask had I been over looked but they could tell me nothing. They suggested I ring the local booking line which I did only to be told that yes I am on list group 6 and to wait my turn.

They said I was not more of a priority because I did not receive a shielding letter. Neither did my wife I said. They could not explain why she had been given the jab only that surgerys seem to be doing their own thing.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Paulo56

Its all becoming like a pattern, a jig saw that does not fit together. My husband had his 2 weeks ago (not through the Doctor I might add). He has been shielding since March 25th due to liver disease, asthma, pneumonia twice, and mental health issues. He is 50 with severe depression. His old job rang him up and said would he like a vaccine in case he was ever well enough to go back to work. Hats off to them, but my hubby says he feels so guilty and still cannot do anything other than shield in case he brings something home to me. Poor thing.

I hope you get sorted.

Hi Sootycat and Paulo56 my advise is to email your local surgery. Again list your conditions. I did this 2 weeks ago and had my 1st vaccine last Tuesday. I do believe that a written request is dealt with differently to a phone call. It is not fraud to be worried about a health complaint that may cause poorer outcomes if you have covid. I hope you get his sorted asap. Stress is not helpful. Good luck to both of you.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to CHugsrus

Thank you, but as they never replied to my 2 emails last year I rang the numbers on here from the links people gave me and I was sent a form that goes over the Doctors heads. I sent it off today as the young man on the phone said I filled 3 of the required criteria. Fingers crossed it works. Thank you xxxxxxxxxxx Good luck to you too

CHugsrus
CHugsrus in reply to Sootycat

Good luck. I hope it works.xx

Paulo56
Paulo56 in reply to CHugsrus

Thank you,

I will give it a try.

Hi Sootycat, I am in a similar situation to yourself, read your post this morning and could totally relate. My surgery told me I wasn’t vulnerable. I saw on your replies a suggestion to email the surgery which I have done as I was getting anxious about calling. Guess what ..... just had a call to arrange my appointment.

Hope you get sorted out too xxxx

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Aurora0

Thank you Aurora. I am being lazy here and copied my reply above...…………..Thank you, but as they never replied to my 2 emails last year I rang the numbers on here from the links people gave me and I was sent a form that goes over the Doctors heads. I sent it off today as the young man on the phone said I filled 3 of the required criteria. Fingers crossed it works. Thank you xxxxxxxxxxx Good luck to you too I am so glad you have heard and good luck with it all

CHugsrus
CHugsrus in reply to Aurora0

That is great news for you. Aurora0 xxxx

I’m in group 6 in London and am going tomorrow for first jab. I had heart attack aged 55 with emergency surgery at St Barts 2 years ago come April. One stent. You are in much greater need than me - and your able son. You need to kick up a fuss with practice and if they don’t shift quick get on to your hospital consultant. I have friend similar age to me in Shropshire who has chronic asthma but heart fine - she’s getting jab tomorrow. You have both conditions and should have been helped by now. Really sorry for you - get on the phone!

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Jane4297

I am getting braver, its my husband who is 50 lol but he likes to think he looks like my son lol

I am 58 and have a stent after suffering angina on exercise 3 years ago. I am in the East Yorkshire area. I figured that my risk was fairly consistent with most 58 year olds given I have no recurring problems with my heart whatsoever and no asthma, diabetes etc... Certainly, Sootycat, my need for the jab is nowhere even close to yours.

I received a call this afternoon and - shock horror - am booked in for the jab on Tuesday. Apparently, I am in group 6. Hard to imagine that group 6 can accommodate such a wide level of risk. The inequity across the country is astounding.

Good luck @Sootycat, and anyone in a similar predicament.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Maxspencer

Thank you xx Good Old east Yorkshire. My dad was from Hull, all my aunties Scarborough and my daughter was born in Brid. So glad you got yours xxxxx

That is totally unfair and you certainly are not selfish!I am 63 and classed as vulnerable, I had a text from my local surgery and was invited to get the vaccine today.

I turned up bad sadly they refused to give me the vaccine since have multiple allergies.

Now waiting for referral to hospital so hopefully getting it done there soon.

You could try and ask to go on the reserve list as any spare vaccine left at the end of the day needs to be used or discarded.

My hubbie who is 59 and healthy managed to get my vaccine that way.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Felixia

Thank you hope you take it well when you get it. xxxxxxxxxx

I'm wondering why they won't give it to you my relative only early 30 offered the vaccine she is diabetic but she didn't want it but I have hf but haven't been offered I think you should be offered espwhen u r willing to have it have u got a cardiologist or heart failure nurse ask them take care

Sootycat
Sootycat in reply to Yass_123

Thank you so much. I hope you get sorted out soon xxx

You may also like...