Single exercise session a day - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation
17,148 members โ€ข 11,520 posts

Single exercise session a day

Thatwasunexpected
Thatwasunexpected
โ€ข87 Replies

Ok, now that I have no choice but to stop working (despite financially having no choice but to continue!), do you think the permitted "single exercise session per day" would stretch to that 8 hour continuous walk I've been considering? :D

87 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Don't know! If I go out for a walk, it's normally for 3 to 4 hours, and I'm out in the countryside and hardly see a soul, so as long as there are no crowds and you're on your own ! . I've had a look around on uk.gov but no one has put anything concrete out yet, I assume they will by tomorrow sometime

Did an 11km / 1hr45 this afternoon in place of the gym. Saw 2 other walkers and 2 on the beach with their dog. Didn't get within 50 yds of anyone. Even had sanitiser for after every gate I had to open.

Where did you get the sanitizer ....been out for couple of weeks.

Always keep it in the shop anyway because you wouldn't believe how much congealed skin (and sometimes blood) there is on the backs of some watches.

Usually (before this) buy half a dozen at a time, so been working through my stock.

But also keep 99% isopropyl alcohol for occasional jobs in the workshop so been supplementing the "proper" sanitiser with that diluted to 80% to sprsy down the counter and incoming parcels.

Down to a bottle & a half of sanitiser (all bought well before the panic) and about 1 1/2 litres of the iso mix.

Now that we're stuck at home that should last for a while :)

Single man with toilet rolls would like to meet female with hand sanitizer.......for good clean fun ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿคฃ

:D

You forgot "must be willing to travel", which kinda limits options right now!

Travel not a necessity, you're only after her sanitisor! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have sanitiser. I want to get my hands on her Andrex puppies!

And there was me being careful how I said getting your hands on her sanitisor!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Gladwyn
Gladwyn
in reply to Lezzers

You do make me laugh!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Very good made me chuckle

cowparsley
cowparsley
in reply to Lezzers

Brilliant Lezzers.I`m going to run with that one.I`v got hand sanitizer!!

My bottle's bigger than yours.... :D

Is that what you tell all the girls?

Only the ones with their loo rolls on display :P

Weeclubby
Weeclubby
in reply to Lezzers

Thank you for starting the day with a laugh.

MARYFRED
MARYFRED
in reply to Lezzers

First chortle of the day - thank you Lezzers

Contax
Contax
in reply to Lezzers

That's the best one today.

Handel
Handel
in reply to Lezzers

๐Ÿ˜‚!!! xxx

IMAGES
IMAGES
in reply to Lezzers

Brilliant! made me laugh out loud. Just had to nick it to post els wear. Hope you are keeping fit Sandwell. Thanks,

Well I've got 3 x 5 litre containers of ISO-Propanol (99.8% alcohol) on my garage shelf, I used to use it for cleaning recording heads on computer tape streamers and such, it also has other uses, was only ยฃ25 delivered about 12 years ago. Before that used to get BP version ยฃ10 litre from chemist on special order. Not kind to hands though.

Dilute to about 75% using glycerol or aloe vera and water. It's more effective at the lower strength, lasts longer, and the glycerol / aloe vera keeps it reasonably skin friendly.

There's a WHO recommended receipe out there that includes hydrogen peroxide, but that's there to kill nasty (and mostly tropical) stuff in the mix itself that might survive the alcohol - not something we need to worry about much ovrr here.

I ordered the stuff to make my own, online (plus small bottle of vodka from supermarket) a few weeks ago, have now got the time to put it all together...

Kimkat
Kimkat
in reply to MargeMiller

You may as well drink the vodka Marge, a dermatologist on tv last night said, that apart from most of the recipes on line for hand sanitizer worrying him because they could make your skin extremely uncomfortable if not mixed properly, or having the correct ratio, vodka etc is not enough, as itโ€™s only 40% proof and an alcohol mix, needs to be 60%.

If you hardly see a soul when your out doesnโ€™t matter how long you are out no will know

Pretty sure he said an hrs exercise, you'll just have to run extra fast!

An hour isn't exercise, it's a warm-up!!!

20 mins was enough for me today! I felt I would be better employed cleaning the house & windows but then had a panic attack at the thought of using precious cleaning products, so I gave that up as well! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sunnie2day
Sunnie2day
in reply to Lezzers

Oh I am SO stealing that - 'But darling, I'm conserving cleaning supplies!' Total perfection, Lezzers, thank-you!

I received a card last week from my sister who basically is an obsessive cleaner it said:

Housework never killed anyone but why take the chance!

Nothing like being insulted by sibling.....

I see a tee-shirt in that. Where did I put my silkscreen equipment...

MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star
in reply to Lezzers

Imagine you unwound with a G&T! ๐Ÿธ

Lezzers
Lezzers
in reply to MichaelJH

Strangely enough it never crossed my mind.

I've been trying to figure out the logistics of working from home, when I'm in desperate need of something from the office to enable me to work from home and whether going to the office to collect it could be considered essential travel!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

And now I have a headache ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I'm certainly going to consider (limited) parts runs to the shop as essential. Without them I can't work.

Sorry about the headache, but no paracetamols in the shops

I've got a few packets my ex bought, she took them like sweets but dated 2012 she went after new year 2011 so may only work on old headaches, I think there' s a load of old Co codamol somewhere she never took.

Bagrat
Bagrat
in reply to Lezzers

"Run" what's that??

It's a euphemism for a form of war crime, traditionally committed by PTIs against their own side.

But if you had to run with kit today it could contain contraband like hand gel or andrex ( other brands available)

It wasn't unknown for Gazelles to arrive back in the UK with undeclared goods inside their tail booms.

Not sure they ever included loo roll and cleaning products!

Indeed I have heard apocryphal tails of Canberra tip tanks (clean of course) containing alcohol. Our wedding Deutsche Sekt came to UK in a Phantom F4, obviously as part of a planned sortie!

Well, obviously! Never heard anything as absurd as the forces inventing a task to do someone a favour - that would be unthinkable :D

I think we had better stop........ hee hee

Yeah, probably, seeing as so many people don't appreciate that "training is training" regardless of other motivations.

Giving a homesick squaddie a ride back to the mainland from Aldergrove for the weekend is just as much flight hours as an official exercise over the Plains!

CardiacManOz
CardiacManOz
in reply to Bagrat

I was on Mirages in the RAAF. We had a replica bomb bay fuel tank we could fit. Pilots would bring back bottles of duty free booze from NZ and Bali (to use for degreasing of course ;-)

Bagrat
Bagrat
in reply to CardiacManOz

Pleased to hear innovation was alive and kicking the world over!!

Hi like that I walk 3 km a day more if I I go around but do you think this will slow it .

I watch people in shops no social distancing at all

Hope this sought it out for the people here

Hoprfully it'll make a difference, but it needs to be enforced very hard and with good publicity so the idiots finally get the message!

Its a single exercise so I say yes

That sounds like me when I say Iโ€™ve only eaten one meal a day ๐Ÿ˜‚never said it didnโ€™t last all day

I'm ashamed to say I never thought of that! :D

MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star
in reply to HappyJo

I used to work with someone of 28 stone. He thought "lunch hour" meant eating continuously for one hour!

Lezzers
Lezzers
in reply to MichaelJH

You mean it isn't?

Contax
Contax
in reply to MichaelJH

Poor guy was just a slow eater

Handel
Handel
in reply to MichaelJH

๐Ÿ˜‚

Just found the details that France has put out - basically "not far from your house" 1 or 2 km run OK but not 10 km - max 20-30 mins

Yeah, but that's the French.

If you haven't out-run the other guy in that time you wave the white flag :P

Do you think we will all be given anklets and wired up to the local cop shop?

Contax
Contax
in reply to TRST

They are looking at tracking people by their smart phones, EE and another company trying it I read. Good job I don't have one.

TRST
TRST
in reply to Contax

Hey me neither!

One exercise per day! I wish I could do an 8 hour session every day. Puffed out is me :)

He didn't say how slowly you could "exercise"..... ;)

Welsh First Minister has now said exercise "close to home".

So that'll be 96 laps of the village then :D

Close to home - well the Queen should be alright in Balmoral, Sandringham, Windsor

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Thatwasunexpected

Would that be the home I had in Southport, Brighton, or Guuildford?

Or the one i currently use in Ipswich? :-D

I think it all depends on what music youโ€™re playing.

Depends on where you live I guess. If you live in town then itโ€™s going to be close to home. I you ate lucky enough to live out in the sticks then it could be as much as you want. The aim is to minimise any social contact so if you live on an island by yourself, then itโ€™s you could be out as much as you want.

Good luck, my family is arranging a Friday night karaoke on our WhatsApp group. Anyone else have some ideas?

Contax
Contax
in reply to Rowing58

With them all working from home including radio and TV presenters, all the kids on social media and the rest planning to entertain the world on the internet then no wonder my internet keeps kicking off even with my fibre connection in a rural area. I hope it and mobiles crash world wide for a bit, that would kill more than the virus will.

It's about social distancing, isn't it? So if you live in a quiet rural setting it is going to be different than if you live in a compact city area. I live in Pembrokeshire, there is plenty of space, especially when no tourists are here. I anticipate going out for daily walks or cycle rides and being out for 2 to 4 hours at times but I'm unlikely to see other people that I don't live with, once the tourist that are here go home. My understanding is that this is OK.

Does that mean that if you have a dog you can only walk it once a day? If you can walk a dog more than once then that's your answer! Borrow a neighbours or dress the other half up as a a german shepherd.

Handel
Handel
in reply to Becksagogo

๐Ÿ˜‚

I leave home to walk my dogs at about 6.15 am every day. Normally just me and about 6 others in the park. Over 20 this morning. . Everyone smiling and waving. A couple of short chats with regulars. All keeping our distance.

Here's my typical post-corona day. Walk the dog in the countryside and canal towpath. See two or three people as we pass in cars. Back home. Into my workshop where only I work, answer my phone and emails and package any orders. Delay dispatch by three days to allow virus to expire on my hard surface goods, phone courier service and leave packages in safe place for pickup. They are packed in cardboard so virus won't survive the wait. Eat , sleep, repeat. Only change from pre-virus routine is that the packages arrive three days later than normal. Now all I need are customers.......

Good to keep busy. I write so my routine hasn't changed much either. Still sitting on my own with my laptop tapping away. What is it you're making in your studio and mailing out?

No, think about other people, if everyone doing continuous walking it will solve nothing and be just like the idiots on the weekend.

It was a little tongue in cheek ;)

Good, sadly I am in the vulnerable group and can't have any walks but lucky enough to have a garden. The dog is pretty miffed but just have to throw a ball for him!! Good luck hope we all get through this.

We've had the idiots who think "self isolation" means drive out into the country and walk around in hundreds of groups all day, all on the same popular routes" last weekend.

Thankfully, most of the accommodation they were using closed and sent them home.

Most of my routes are round the back roads where you don't see a soul even in mid summer because, if I'm walking any distance, I prefer not to be meeting hundreds of tourists anyway!

So can't see there being any measurable risk unless I start licking peoples' gateposts as I pass. Which is a shame because that's usually the highlight of the walk :P

Do stop it, youโ€™ll get splinters in your tongue!

Go for it .I'm going on a cycle ride today .keep away from everyone should be on problem

Contax
Contax
in reply to Kenbo

All you people talking about going out makes me think I should take my little diesel for a run each day to produce a bit of sweet smelling pollution to upset Great Thunderburger, it replaces my legs as they have expired. Once in a while I will have to get out to fill it up. I never go out more than once a week tops, I think I'm a hermit thing.

If in the wilds no one will see!

I know. But (on the serious side) a lot of it is about setting expectations.

Growing up in rural Devon in the 80s, several of the local pubs had very laid back attitudes to drink driving. The local bobby would even pop in for a cuppa a few minutes before closing to talk very loudly about where he'd be setting up his checks "in about 20 minutes, just after I finish this tea".

That genuinely wasn't a problem around there - accidents were vurtually zero and there was no-one else on the roads to endanger.

But, in the wider context, that sort of behaviour in areas like thst served to prolong the sense of social acceptance of "just a couple" which continued to some extent well into the 90s.

At the moment we need to be making "avoid contact" as socially unacceptable as drink driving, and we don't have a decade to achieve that!

Which is why, despite lightheartedness, I won't REALLY be doing 8 hour / 50km walks - 20 or 30km tops for now ;)

I plan to go from house to car to wild to walk. On my way back I may shop if need be, or for others in need. I may have to travel to someone who is isolated 25 miles away to do a door drop of food. I am in the risk group, no one else in family drives, so I drive they shop! And while they shop I read book in car!

May as well sit in my car as the flat. One walk in the wilds and back to prison, oops I mean home!

You may also like...