Incessant cough: Hi guys, I was... - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation

23,622 members15,836 posts

Incessant cough

Traceyma
Traceyma

Hi guys,

I was diagnosed with total heartblock and had a pacemaker fitted in May. Everything went well but since last week I've felt very unwell. I developed a cough which has got progressively worse and a high temperature of 102. I dont believe its a chest infection but i feel really hot and clammy all the time. My gp said my pulse was quite fast and has put me on antibiotics which haven't helped so far. He also said i had to rest. The cough disappears when i lie down.Im now worried that it is something to do with my heart. Not sure if i should ask for a cardiology referral even if it is to put my mind at rest?

4 Replies
oldestnewest
Emily_BHF
Emily_BHFBHF Nurse

Hi Traceyma,

I am sorry to hear you are going through this difficult time. It sounds as though you have an infection/virus of some kind. I am not sure whether your symptoms would usually warrant a cardiology referral at this stage. You could discuss this with your doctor if your symptoms haven’t improved in over a week (you should finish the course of antibiotics to be certain they haven’t been effective).

Take care,

Emily

Traceyma
Traceyma in reply to Emily_BHF

Thanks for your reply Emily. Think its just another perspective on it that i needed. Ill definitely continue with the antibiotics and if things haven't improved after I've finished I'll see my gp again.

MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star

If you still have a temperature I would suggest taking paracetamol unless there is an issue with other medications.

Traceyma
Traceyma in reply to MichaelJH

Hi Michael I am fine with paracetamol. Think I was just surprised at how ill i feel after recovering really well from the pacemaker op.

You may also like...