British Heart Foundation
11,011 members6,690 posts

How long does angina normally last stable/unstable?

Hiya guys,

How long does angina normally last

(Continuously) does it last for seconds ie,

(A few seconds or half a minute etc)

Can it ever be a pain (not tightness or heavy ness) just a pain?

Also as symptoms, dr google says it can be a pain in the left arm,

For any of you who’s suffered from angina or arm pain, what did the arm pain feel like,

Is it a cramp, a dull ache kind of pain, or is is a sharp pain, pinching pain etc?

I know you guys can’t give any diagnosis, but was just wondering.

Cheers peeps. Stay healthy 👊🏼

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Everyone is different but in my case it always started as pain and wasn’t for a while after the pain started that it became harder to breathe. If I stopped and rested for a few minutes the pain would stop and I would never get to the breathless stage. I only ever had right side pain. If you have a gtn spray or you take nitrates the pain will usually subside quickly - it’s actually a bit of a marker for angina. Really you should be talking to your GP if you have concerns about angina.

1 like

Thank you for the reply, what did you pain feel like?

Also would you pain ever be at rest or was it during exertion only?

I had stable angina and it was always exercise induced.

The pain started with a knot behind my right shoulder blade about the size of a walnut is how I pictured it. This would gradually change to being a burning pain that radiated out and forward into the right hand side of my chest. If I let it get this far My breathing would start to labour. The pain never progressed to my left side.

1 like

Hi , I suffer from unstable angina ever since my HA in 2011 , it can happen at any time , I can be walking , sitting down and even asleep . Mine is pretty typical I suppose , feels like a tennis ball in my chest then gets heavier , left arm aches and tingly and I get a horrible pain up the back of my neck and into my jaw. Sometimes it goes away with gtn sometimes not which is when I end up in A&E .

How long does your pain normally last for continuously, is it for a few seconds or is it a while?

I get niggles which last a few minutes then just fayed away or the intense ones can last for ages , hours even but seconds , not really

Thank you for your input,

Your niggles, are they a tightness or a pain, and is it located centre of chest?

They’re sharp pains left of chest

1 like

Do the sharp pains last seconds or for a couple of minutes?

Only asking as the doctors appointment is a while away yet.

Cheers.

A few minutes normally

1 like

You may also like...