British Heart Foundation

How long did you wait?

I was diagnosed with a leaking mitral valve in June when I went into hospital for an operation on my hand. I was referred to a cardiologist who arranged for a TOE and an angiogram then referred me to a cardiac surgeon for my valve to be repaired.

The angiogram was six weeks ago but I haven't heard anything from the surgeon yet. Is this a normal length of time to wait or should I chase him?

4 Replies

I was diagnosed in Sept., with a moderate to severe mitral heart valve leak and angina, so far I have had an echocardiogram , a TOE but still waiting for the angiogram .

I have recently found out that the hospital I am attending only has a Angiogram Laboratory on the hospital site just 2 days a week, looks like I'm in for a long wait. I did contact the hospital re waiting times but haven't heard back from them, and as it's the Christmas period I don't suppose I will hear till the new year.

1 like

Hi Sue2002

I had my latest TOE in June and as that showed my previous mitral valve repair had failed I was then referred to my surgeon to discuss a 2nd lot of heart surgery to fit a mechanical valve. I now have severe mitral valve regurgitation and can do very little because of my symptoms but even so the waiting list is 5 months at minimum.

I am also now in AF so have to take Warfarin. When my surgeon recommended a valve replacement my 1st reaction was not to go ahead as I had been through the op before but I have come to realise that things are not going to improve so I will have to go for it and hope for the best.

I hope you hear something soon but unfortunately I don't think a six week wait is unusual these days, of course there is no harm in ringing the surgeons secretary, I have always found them very helpful.

Best wishes

1 like

Thanks. I did ring the secretary a couple of weeks ago to confirm they had received a referral. I may ring again to see if I can get an idea of how long it takes to get an appointment. Luckily I don't really have any symptoms but it would be nice to get an idea of when I might be seen.

In my experience yes it is due to the volume of patients

You may also like...