Grandmother passed away

So my grandmother or as I'd refer to her as my nan passed away may 24th her funeral was held June 8th and I wake up every morning and I feel empty she was my best friend in the world I loved her with my entire heart more then anything I look for signs in everyday that she's with me even a song on the radio or someone passing me in the street with the same bag she used to carry, every night I blow a kiss and whisper I love you up to the moon (as that was her nickname) in a hope that she knows that wherever she is That i miss her in everyday and I always will until I see her again, I'm just finding it difficult to come to terms with and believe that she's really gone x

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Isabelle what a lucky lady she was to have so much love from her Granddaughter. She sounds pretty special. I am a Nan with a special Granddaughter too. She loves me and I love her. I feel blessed to have her in my life. She has given me so much happiness.

I can only imagine how you must feel having lost your Nan. One thing I do know she will always be with you. Love never dies you know? Those we have loved and who have loved us always have a special connection I believe.

Speak to her and tell her all the things you would have if she was still here. You will always have a place in your heart that belongs to her.

You made her very happy when she was here and she made you happy. Of course you will miss her forever but it will get easier in time. Always keep her memory alive. Then she will never leave you.

Take care of yourself.

Marie x

• Thank you so much we are currently looking at the different memorials we can have for her, as she was cremated these is currently no grave so hopefully when this is done I can have somewhere special to go and talk to her and tell her everything like I used to. Your granddaughter sounds very lucky to have a grandmother like you too and it sounds like you have a lovely relationship too x

• Isabelle you are more organised than I am. My husband died in February and I haven't looked at a memorial for him yet. He was cremated too but we bought a small plot where his ashes could be buried. One day I will join him there. It seemed like a good idea at the time but my daughter has taken her Dad's death very hard and keeps going to lay flowers on his little grave. I worry as I think she goes too much. She wants me to organise the memorial too and I worry that we will have problems with that too. So not all is a bed of roses.

So when my lovely Granddaughter comes to stay the night we have a girly night. We do all the things that nobody else does with her. In other words I spoil her! She deserves it though as she is so loving.

Your Nan will know your special times in life. When you get married she will be there looking over you. No doubt very pleased and proud as I am sure she always was of her Granddaughter.

Take time to remember the special times. Maybe even write them down. However take time to cry too. You have only just lost your Nan. So remember her and if it brings tears that is alright you know? In fact it's a very good thing. You need to mourn before you can move on. Make time for yourself.

Lots of love to you.

Marie x

• Thank you very much, maybe your daughter finds a lot of comfort feeling like she can still

Visit her dad over time she may visit less frequently as she gets more used to the feeling he has passed but for now maybe that's what she needs to visit often. Thank you very much for your support it's very much appreciated x

• Hi sorry to hear this. When you lose a loved one you go through various stages of grieving. Not everyone goes through all of them or in the same order but the main thing is not to get stuck in the grief cycle.

I did the same as you when my mother and father passed and kept thinking I saw them in the street. The pain is very raw at the moment so be patient and kind to yourself. It does get easier over time and eventually you will be able to move on with your life. This doesn't mean forgetting but keeping a very special place in your heart for her. She will always be with you in spirit.

Your Nan would want you to be happy one day again and to live and be able to enjoy your life. This is for the future though, right now just mourn her and do whatever makes you feel a bit better. You know what you think and feel and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Take care.

• Thank you very much I'm very sorry for your loss also and hope you are finding the strength to deal with your grief also, I try to be happy because she'd never want to see me cry although I do I hope she doesn't see, I will always try to make her proud everyday, although one thing that upsets me is that she never got to see me married or as a mother and I know that she wanted this for me very much so I hope then when the time comes I will feel her presence and that I will know that she knows x

• You will feel her presence and and she will know. It's very early days yet so don't force yourself to smile if you don't feel like it. Accept you are mourning her. I know it's an old cliche but time really is a great healer. The more normal life and routine you put in after the terrible shock of your Nan's passing, the sooner time will pass.

I can't believe it's 4 years (the anniversary of her death will be 4 years on 19th June) and me and my sisters are getting together to remember and talk about her. We all find this comforting.

You are in my thoughts. xx

• Thank you I will try to live as normally as I can but she's always in my thoughts. And that is a lovely thing to do hope it brings you all a little more peace, much love x

• So the guilts beginning to kick in I missed her last phone call to me it was weeks before she passed but she didn't ring often because she could never get the hang of this mobile phone stuff, but still I missed it but I had a health scare and a lot of tests going on then I was on holiday and came back and I thought I must go in and see her this weekend I must and then I passed my grandad getting in his car at 2:00ish and I said to my dad he must be going to see nan because this is the time he always goes if he's going in now I'll go in with my boyfriend tomorrow which would've been good he Saturday that night I'd got the call from a family member that she had passed and I thought I'd be dealing with it okay I'd been sleeping pretty much that's all I've done but this past week I can't it takes me either ages to get to sleep or I wake up in sweats it's eating away at me, she was moved to end of life care just as a precaution 3 months prior to her death and when I saw her every time she was right as rain and I thought why is she here? I understood her mobility was no longer good but she was, she was good. And now she's gone and I can't understand 💔 did she know I loved her was she angry I didn't answer that call was she wondering why I hadn't been in because I'd been very ill & on holiday, I could've been there when she passed if not for a long running feud between my mother and her sister and father which is why nobody rang me to let me know she had little time or for 2 days that she had passed although they knew I was close to my nan I felt in those last moments they should've shown a bit of decency to call me but I think they didn't cos with my auntie living in another country she couldn't get there either so in her last moment she spend it with my cousin and his boyfriend who my nan adored, but this should comfort me but it doesn't because I'm her last few moments before I lost her did she think she'd lost me? X

• I'm sooo sorry that you're feeling guilty about things that were not in your control...your illness, vacation, missing a call, the timing of your Nan's passing. It sounds like you and your Nan had enjoyed years of a wonderful relationship. A missed phone call cannot erase years of a loving bond. The best friend a grieving person can have is our Creator. Pour out your heart to him in prayer because “he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7) Moreover, he promises that all who do so will have their thoughts and feelings soothed by “the peace of God that surpasses all understanding.” (Philippians 4:6, 7) Also, allow God to help you heal by means of his consoling Word, the Bible. Make a list of comforting scriptures. (See my little list below.) You may even want to memorize a few of them. Having such thoughts to ponder over may be especially helpful at night when you are alone and find it hard to sleep.—Isaiah 57:15.

COMFORTING BIBLE VERSES

• God feels for you in your pain.—Psalm 55:22; 1 Peter 5:7.

• God patiently listens to the prayers of his servants.—Psalm 86:5; 1 Thessalonians 5:17.

• God misses people who have died.—Job 14:13-15.

• God promises to resurrect the dead.—Isaiah 26:19; John 5:28, 29.

• First of all im so sorry for your loss of a beautiful nan she sounds like a remarkable lady. Its very hard to lose people we love so much. To lose a nan is heartbreaking as i name our nans the 'Queens' of our familys. She will take with her all the love you have for her and she will place it in her heart where it will remain forever.i know your in pain and you will miss her always but you will recieve signs smell her scent and then there will be songs coming on the radio and when that happens you will smile and feel warm and say to yourself "there she is".

Take care

Love Nat xxx

• So I've been getting by or so I thought and I had a dream last night she was here and I was crying in my sleep and it woke me up and the tears were real my pillow was soaked, the only other time I have cried in my sleep is when she was first ill and I thought she was going to die and I had a dream that she did and I cried and I woke up and was hysterically crying just like now 💔 the dream last night was her funeral and she was there and I was trying to write my reading but it turned out that I was too upset and then nobody else could read my writing to read it so I kept trying and trying to write it out neater and the time ran out to read it and it never got read, what does this mean as in real life I didn't offer to do a reading I knew I wouldn't be able to do it so I said my brother would instead but it's been one month today, I'm getting a tattoo for her today of some of the lyrics of there you'll be but faith hill which was one of the songs we played at her funeral x

You may also like...