TMI: I went to the bathroom and a large clear mucus... - BASHH

BASHH
14,506 members2,345 posts

TMI

HP12
HP12

I went to the bathroom and a large clear mucus blob was on the tissue... I’m a little concerned as to what this is? Does anyone have any idea?

I am on the contraceptive patch and I haven’t been able to get the patch so I’ve been off it for 2 weeks... could it be because of this?

11 Replies
oldestnewest

It could be as a change in contraception could lead to changes in your daily discharge. You would need to consider any sexual activity you've recently had also. Are you using any other method of contraception?

I haven’t had sex since my patches ran out. I’m waiting for my prescription to restart the patch.

If you think you may be at risk of having an STI it might be worth ordering an online testing kit from SH:24 to put your mind at rest. But it is also possible that this is in response to changing hormonal levels since stopping the patch. The recommendation is that you have a Chlamydia test every year or with every change of partner, so you might feel you are due one anyway.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 6 years so I’m not sure about any STIs! The patch was the only thing I could think of as I’ve never had a break from contraception for the last 5 years

It probably is (unless your discharge has changed colour or smells different to normal too) as you are now likely to be ovulating and so your discharge will change depending on where you are in your cycle. If you notice any other changes then it would be worth contacting your local Sexual Health Service for advice to put your mind at rest :) useful reading: nhs.uk/conditions/vaginal-d...

I agree with WHMS2, it's just mid-cycle (ovulatory) discharge. It has the appearance of egg white. If you have nothing better to do (lockdown) and you stretch the discharge between your fingers, it will extend as a long stringy bit of mucus (German: spinnbarkheit).

As others have commented, this is the time when you are most fertile so you need to ensure effective use of alternative contraception until you get a fresh supply of patches.

Adhari

HP12
HP12
in reply to Adhari

Thanks for the reply!

Related to ovulation probably. It changes throughout the month if you weren't taking any contraception you would perhaps notice this on a regular basis.

HP12
HP12
in reply to moo196

That’s what I’ve read, thanks for replying!

If it's a clear, stretchy, non smelly blob you're most likely to be ovulating since you've been off the patches. First time I saw it I freaked out too! Careful you can get pregnant during this time.

HP12
HP12
in reply to Pinkmarley

Haha, glad I’m not the only one! Thanks for the advice! I’ve got my prescription now so will start the patch again

You may also like...