Thoughts please : Hi all, recently I developed a cut... - BASHH

BASHH
13,173 members2,075 posts

Thoughts please

Kta_5991
Kta_5991
5 Replies

Hi all, recently I developed a cut on the side of my mouth wasn’t sure if this was from salty crisps at Christmas or what but being a worrier I googled it and I found something out called angular cheilitis where the corners of your mouth can split, crack, blister and get dry skin, I’ve been panicking over this because I have genital herpes and I was scared I had given myself a coldsore? I haven’t had an outbreak in a while and haven’t kissed anyone with a coldsore or shared any drinks etc with someone that has and until this evening, I’ve noticed some redder patches on my bottom lip in the middle, almost tiny blisters, surly it can’t be coldsores can it seeing as I haven’t come into contact with anyone that has them or had an outbreak myself as I know the virus can’t travel up the body? Please help me as to what you think this looks like, I’m going out of my mind with worry 😩

5 Replies
oldestnewest
Properdoc

this could be angular chelitis which is common and can be related to oral candida, sometimes other issues like iron deficiency, thyroid problems etc . You could try treating the skin outside with topical clotrimazole , do you have any health issues ?

Kta_5991
Kta_5991
in reply to Properdoc

I was hoping you’d reply as you’re so helpful! I’ve tried putting sudocreme on the corners, it’s not causing too much discomfort as it’s healed a bit better now but can still slightly see the cut in the corner, I have been putting lip balm on it also, would I be better to get over the counter cream or keep trying the sudocreme until it heals? As for other health problems apart from genital herpes I don’t have any others I am aware of Thank you for replying ☺️

Properdoc
Properdoc
in reply to Kta_5991

Hi and thank you. You can buy topical clotrimazole and hydrocortisone 1% over the counter in any chemist. Sudocreme can dry things out a bit, lip balm is probably better as a moisturiser. I don't think this is anything related to the cold sore virus if that was your main concern .

1 like
Kta_5991
Kta_5991
in reply to Properdoc

Thank you so much for your help, yes I was concerned I was getting coldsore due to the little redness in the centre of my lip but I get a lot of anxiety of it so I don’t help myself much! Thanks for your help I appreciate it!

Properdoc
Properdoc
in reply to Kta_5991

no problem :-)

You may also like...