IUD Copper Coil problems: I had a IUD copper coil... - BASHH

BASHH
14,461 members2,335 posts

IUD Copper Coil problems

dawnydoll
dawnydoll

I had a IUD copper coil fitted 3 months ago and it’s caused me no end of problems. My periods have become much more heavier and painful. My depression has worsened and I feel low mood sometimes. I’ve also started having sleep problems since having it fitted and now having to take sleeping medication to help me sleep. I also know a number of other women who have had the similar problems. I feel I’m suffering because of insomnia because before when I didn’t have the copper coil in I had no problems sleeping. It’s crazy that the GP’s and sexual health clinics don’t tell you about the full side effects of this. Even though it’s hormone free it’s side effects are a nightmare. I would strongly advise anyone who is or who has decided to have this fitted that they query this first with their sexual health clinics. Not enough health professionals are detailed about the problems it causes. Please can people share their thoughts and opinions on this?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi.. sorry to hear about your problems since having the coil fitted. It can take about 3 months for it to settle down and you will find your periods are heavier and maybe more painful as a result of the loss. The clinic should have advised you about that.

What concerned me more was that you said you felt depressed. That made me wonder if you've recently come of the pill, after a long time? If so, the drop in 'artificial hormones' can cause that in some people. Ideally, what should have happened is to be weaned off the pill... thereby giving your body time to re-adjust and start producing the hormones on its own... that can take some time... especially the older one gets. Coming off a hormone treatment suddenly.. can cause depression. The depression has nothing to do with the coil.

Hope that helps.

Hi i have had the copper fitted in abiyt 2 years now. It does take afew good months to settle in as i did get longer periods but now its fine. All the people i know have had this fitted have never experienced depression or insomnia linked to the copper coil as it has no hormonal side affects. Maybe you are taking other medicines where you sleep and depression is affected by. Do discuss this issue with a doctor.

I'm not aware of the IUD causing sleep issues. It's a small but of plastic with some copper wound around it. Some women can experience heavier and more crampy periods, sometimes tummy discomfort which is usually short lived but can take longer to settle.

Yes me too!! I'm on no medication whats so ever and suddenly I'm in constant pain, can't sleep, no energy, depression and anxiety have gotten worse. I was fine 2 months after having it fitted then my problems all started after I had my first anxiety attack. Then came the constant back pain, acne and fatigue. My mood swings were all over the place and I got agitated with the smallest things. A year on and I'm even worse. Im struggling with every little thing and had so many tests done to fine the problem and i put it down to the coil. It's being removed next week and I couldn't be happier.

I've come across a group that have all experienced the negative effects of the copper IUD. facebook.com/groups/2105383...

Any advice and these people can help.

Hi dear! I am sorry to hear that. I had the same coil fit 10 years and today I have replaced it with the new one. I am very happy , it helped me so much. No side effects at all! I think if you feel that much uncomfortable, you need to remove and change your coil to another one !!

Currently awaiting tests results back on a hair mineral analysis for copper toxicity. They don't tell you about this risk but heavy metal poisoning affects your mental health severely.

It caused my periods to last 10 days or over. Sometimes I have spotting between periods. It gives me agonizing pain. Painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen don't touch the pain. My periods are very heavy, causing me to leak regularly, ruining many bed sheets, which never used to happen. For ten days each month, I am completely debilitated. It even gives me a sharp stabbing pain in my thighs sometimes, and I get pain in between periods as well. It's ridiculous. When they put it in, it felt like my ovaries were being stabbed with a knife. I've seen on the internet that many women who have a copper coil suffer from copper toxicity, which causes them various mental health problems as well as physical symptoms. If you ask a health 'professional', they insist that that is impossible. But N.H.S. and Western/modern doctors don't know everything. You could get advice from a natural/naturopathic doctor. My coil has been in for over a year and my symptoms got worse not better. I'm paying a private doctor to remove it now since the N.H.S. is denying thousands of people healthcare, due to the Coronavirus situation, which by the way, is less deadly than flu.

You may also like...