Pfizer vaccine. Just asking. - Asthma UK communi...

Asthma UK community forum

18,140 members22,435 posts

Pfizer vaccine. Just asking.

Happyman4 profile image

Am 71 years old with asthma, the hospital phone me up today asking me to come to the hospital for my first Pfizer vaccine.. the hospital is about an hour's drive from my home. My question is have any of you that's had the vaccine been unable to drive after having the vaccine, or been advised not to drive.

Would appreciate any information you can give me ..thanks

32 Replies

In the UK (I'm assuming you're not as you're only having your first today....apologies if I'm wrong!) people having the Pfizer vaccine were monitored for 15 minutes after having it just to make sure they were ok and could then go. I don't think there was a driving restriction though. Could someone go with you who could drive you home if needed just in case?

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to twinkly29

Yes your right am not in the uk, am living in Thailand and it's only just now that they started to vaccinate foreigners. Yes there is someone who can come with me but I was hoping to go alone as it's very early in the morning I have to leave.

The hospital said the same as you, so I think I will be fine.

Thanks very much for your reply twinkly🙂👍

twinkly29 profile image
twinkly29 in reply to Happyman4

Good luck and glad you're able to have the vaccine now!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to twinkly29

Had it done now and everything was fine, no side effects at all, I did feel a little tired for a few minutes just after the vaccine, but I think that was just out of tiredness of standing in the queue for so long..I did have someone with but I didn't need them to drive for me as I felt really good..🙂

twinkly29 profile image
twinkly29 in reply to Happyman4

Brilliant! Glad you've had it done and that it went well 🙂

Hello Happyman 4, many of my neighbours & relatives have had both Pfizer vaccines & they are all over 70, they all seemed fine & were able to drive home from the vaccination centre or hospital, quite a few of them have asthma too, but perhaps in Thailand rules may be different from the UK..I am sure that you will be fine ,& I wish you well whatever decision you make Happyman4, & may God bless you always, Primrose123!!! 😀

Thank you for your reply primrose, all went very well today, no side effects, a great relief, so I drove home.Next one is in 3 weeks time..looking forward to it. 🙂

Great news, Happyman4, delighted all went well for you, I have no doubt that you will be fine with your 2nd vaccine too, & you will feel good that you have had both vaccines..Take care, & may God bless you always..Primrose123.x😀

Thank you primrose 🙂

I'm in the UK but I had the Pfizer vaccine and was fine ... had to wait 20 mins before I could leave the vaccination venue but was fine once I was out

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Chip_y2kuk

Thank you for your reply Chip, they had a very nice waiting area for us to sit and adviced us to wait 30 minutes..but I left after 10 minutes or so, as I was feeling very good. 🙂

Hi Happyman. I’m also in the U.K. I drove to my appointment, had the jab, had to wait 20 mins, then drove myself home without any problems. I too have asthma - in my sixties

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Troilus

Thank you for your reply Troilus, I only waited about 10 or so minutes and drove home, did some shopping first, treated myself and family to a fillet steak breakfast, such a huge relief to at least get the first vaccine. 🙂

I’d advise anyone to take a driver with you .. I had effects both times ,, so just to be on safe side

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Maggie_Mae

Thank you for your reply Maggie, I did have someone with me but everything went so well, I didn't have any side effects, so I was happy to drive home, and very relieved that I had my first vaccine 🙂

Maggie_Mae profile image
Maggie_Mae in reply to Happyman4

That’s brilliant.. glad all went well

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Maggie_Mae

Thank you 🙂

My aunt & uncle are in their 80s and had the Pfizer vaccine and were able to drive home from the hospital - twice.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Poobah

Thank you for your reply Poobah, everything went really well and I drove home. Great relief to get the first vaccine, the next one is in 3 weeks time and am looking forward to it..🙂

Poobah profile image
Poobah in reply to Happyman4

Excellent news! 🤗

Hi, I'm also a UK resident (Scotland) and what happened to me was I waited for 15 minutes. This was barely supervised, in a side area you were asked to take note of the time and leave after 15 minutes although there were nurses around if anything odd happened. I had no problem driving and I don't know anyone who did.

Good luck... and YaY!

Lucky for me for me it was all done in one of the best hospitals in the province and they had a very nice waiting area that was very well supervised with doctors and nurses and what looked liked an emergency room it was comforting to see..but very happy that I didn't need it🙂

Maggie_Mae profile image
Maggie_Mae in reply to Happyman4

Yes have emergency stand by room in our hospitals curtained off , beside vaccination area. ...

I would advise you to take someone with you or consider a taxi. Most people are absolutely fine with the vax and I include myself in this. However, my husband had the vax and fainted and hit his head on the floor hard. Unfortunately he didn’t have anyone with him and still had to drive home by himself when he was all shaken up. It wasn’t ideal and I always think a person should have someone accompany them just in case. But please don’t be alarmed, I do think the chance of anything like this is very rare indeed.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Logo132

Thank you for your reply Logo, very sorry to hear what happened to your husband, I think quite a lot of people are worried about side effects, I know I was. Someone did come with me, but everything went so well that I enjoyed the drive back, even did some shopping to treat myself and family to a hearty breakfast 🙂Next jab is in 3 weeks and am looking forward to it🙂

I have had both shots of Pfizer (and I have severe asthma as well as having 9 pulmonary embolisms since December due to lupus affecting my blood), and I drove to each one and went grocery shopping, and running errands all day after each. I don’t think they will tell you to not drive after…they never told me not to. If you have any concerns, call your doctor or the place you are getting the vaccine. Just to be sure.

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to Willow7733

Thank you for your reply Willow, to be honest I was very worried about having the vaccine as I to have more then my fair share of health issues, but ofcourse I needed to have it done. It all went very well and there was no side effects, such a huge relief to have it done. My next one is in 3 weeks time, Looking forward to it very much. 🙂

Willow7733 profile image
Willow7733 in reply to Happyman4

I am going to warn you, the first one is a breeze, but the second one packs a punch. I am glad I had mine done on a Saturday because I would not have been able to go into work. It isn’t too bad, but it affects different people in different ways (sore back, feel like you have the flu, feeling sore). Mine lasted Saturday night to Tuesday morning. The worst being Saturday night and Sunday morning. But it is done! I feel grateful that I got it.

I felt fine after the first and sick about 12 hours after the second. Good luck! Good you're getting the jabs!!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to hilary39

Thank you for your hilary, it's been about 20 hours since the jab and am just feeling my normal self.. not like that's a great feeling ☺ but am grateful to not been affected by the vaccine, and am very much looking forward to the other jab in 3 weeks time 🙂

hilary39 profile image
hilary39 in reply to Happyman4

Oh good! Take care and be well!!

Happyman4 profile image
Happyman4 in reply to hilary39

Thank you hilary x🙂

You may also like...