ADVICE WITH TRIGGER : Hi all, It has... - Asthma UK communi...

Asthma UK community forum
13,875 members19,291 posts

ADVICE WITH TRIGGER

H256
H256
16 Replies

Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted - This last year has been royally SH** Asthma Wise (sorry for the language). I have been on and off Steriods all year, pretty much once a month with Exception of about 3 months max - I have had my Medication change from Clenil to Fostair 100/6 to now Fostair 200/6 which i take twice in the AM and Twice in the PM and is working great for me i find.

MY main question is after having a bette time lately and hoping this year would be controlled and not take over my life.

Back in April when i was at my worst we had discovered Mushrooms growing in work in a cupboard down stairs now these have been on and off through out year due to our maintenance man just cutting these away, they have extremly rapid growth - they can go grom a tiny little bud to fully sprouted over night.

Now, I was told that the issue was dealt with and we would not have any more but this morning In work I have felt myself progressivly get more and more short of breath *Blue inhaler taken -2 puffs) and now my voice is husky - something I experience with my Asthma and No Wheeze ( I do not suffer Wheeze) I have no Manager in my building these are base in our Head office, I have not informed them of the new Mushrooms yet - is there anything I can do for them to take this seriously?

They have been provided with a copy of my Asthma Action Plan but I was openly told that this wont even get read and doesnt need to be on file by my manager.

Some one please help me, I believe that these may be the cause of my really bad year with my Asthma and really do not want to go through what I did last year - Prior to Last year my Asthma was extremly well controlled and was off medication for about 10-11 years.

16 Replies
oldestnewest
Wheezycat

This is just a thought. Could you show above picture to someone who understands fungus infections in buildings? My common sense tells me that just removing the mushrooms, the fruiting bodies, of a fungus infestation will not remove it all. As it is work it is difficult, but you have a good picture there. If you can find out more you could perhaps talk to a union rep if you have one, or someone who deals with infestations in buildings. As said these are just thoughts and may not be realistic.

H256
H256
in reply to Wheezycat

Hiya Wheezycat!

I have loads of images like this some with a whole lot more mushrooms- cutting

Down 100% will not kill off infection so I’ve been told and also read online, unlucky for me I don’t have any union reps etc but will try and find a local professional in this field

It’s just hard as it’s at work it’s making me unwell but I can’t not work

Poobah

Hello H256. Your medical condition is covered by the Equality Act 2010. There is also legislation covering health and safety in the workplace & therefore you are entitled to a workplace assessment in terms of the environmental conditions that maybe exacerbating your asthma. The HR manager should accept your written request for the assessment. Usually this is carried out by a health care professional with relevant qualifications re workplace assessments.

Once the assessment is done a report will be given to the employer with reasonable adjustments recommended. As long as these are reasonable and not cost prohibitive, the employer makes the adjustments that will make your workplace safer for you.

If you have a union rep or a Health & Safety rep/manager they can facilitate your request for wellbeing in the workplace.

These pieces of legislation are there to protect everyone in the workplace but with the Equality Act you have added protections.

I would also talk with your usual asthma nurse or GP to see if they could support your request for a workplace assessment - they should understand the affect fungal spores etc will have on your asthma. A letter from them to the employer will be impossible to ignore.

Let us know how you get on.

3 likes
H256
H256
in reply to Poobah

Hiya Poobah,

Thank you for this!!! I have spoke to my employers and no luck again just cutting down, I am waiting on my asthma review as this is in April, it was mentioned to them in April just gone hence the updated Action plan but they wasn’t to interested...

I will speak to HR regarding this thanks for this information it is great to hear this as I am clueless with the laws etc.

If I am honest the place is a total wreck our heating/aircon is broken so constantly cold in there and then the mushrooms seem to be in the room with the water tank or something like that so it probably be extremely costly to sort

Will keep you posted on results.

2 likes
Poobah
Poobah
in reply to H256

The workplace assessment is called an occupational health workplace risk assessment - checking for hazards that cause ill health in the workplace or potential risks that could potentially be unsafe for your wellbeing.

The professional occupational health assessor will interview you as well as investigate the source of the potential problem on site. They will also be helped if you give them a copy of your action plan and any other relevant info from your doctor.

Recommendations can include moving you away from the hazard while it's being properly addressed. For example a different workplace or working from home, if possible. The range of solutions open to the employer should be layed out in the occupational health report.

If your employer needs help as to how they should go about their legal duty to protect your welfare then they can speak to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) on 0300 003 1747.

Good luck.

1 like
H256
H256
in reply to Poobah

Thank you that is amazing!!

1 like
Bienkie

I don't know what your job is, but that sounds awful! Really agree with you that something must be done.

Do you have access to occupational health? My advice is to ask for referral. Take pictures along and if they agree this causes asthma to get worse, ask them to include in report to employer. Also ask for copy of the report. If your employer does not pay attention to occupational health, and their recommendations, you have grounds for legal action. You should be compensated for the year you've had. Good luck. I really hope you get this sorted soon.

2 likes
H256
H256
in reply to Bienkie

Thank you so much!! I only just found out about occupational health from

The comment above, I have plenty of photos from the last year of different times they have appeared! I will defo speak to them!!

Autie1

Hi

I used to have the same types of problem with work not listening. I have multiple allergies to chemicals and they were using chemicals in the school that i was highly allergic to (ended up in intensive care). I was very fortunate that the asthma nurse at my gp could write me a letter saying that this was my trigger and could they look into using a different product. It took months of arguing as like you our cleaners worked for a different department and had different managers, but the most helpful bit of advice is to start quoting the equalities act and the health and safety at work act and get your gp/asthma nurse on side.

2 likes
H256

Hi,

I am so glad you got this sorted, My GP was horrified when i showed her the images once i first discovered them, afraid my Manager isnt too fussed with my triggers, I did have a chemical trigger previously at work due to window cleaner and got moaned at for sick days on this when they do nothing to help me out.

I am really considering seeking advice on this and getting occupational health involved, I have always put off any help or advice because i worry they will make my life here miserable

rattleben

I'm sorry to hear your situation. Maybe Citizens Advice could advise you on your rights? I would think your employer has a duty of care to ensure your safety.

H256
H256
in reply to rattleben

I will 100% be speaking to Citizens Advice, I just feel at a loss

hilary39

A few years ago, I had to work on a floor with mold in the walls and it made me super sick for over a year. I ultimately moved to a new floor and then a new building and my symptoms went away but it took about six months as it had been such a bad flare.

If your managers can't fix it or move you, could you find a new job? I know that's a huge undertaking but your health is at risk here!

I'm confident you can get back to where you were control-wise if you can eliminate those allergens from your environment and get on the right medicine regime and your body has time to recover.

It's so hard when we realize how transitory our good health is!!! I sympathize, I really do.

Good luck, keep us posted.

H256
H256
in reply to hilary39

Hi Hilary,

Thank you, Moving Desk isnt an option as only a small location and Moving Location is 100% not visable as it is a 2 hour commute to the other office, I am currently looking for a new Career but this doesnt happen over night.

I know it is my health but I unfortunetly need this Job and moving to the other location i would be commuting for 2 hours per Journey and Travel costs would kill me so for now I am looking and having to suck it up and get by where I am.

This being said while I am still here I would have thought that a duty of care is required and if this is causing my illness (which they moan about) then they could atleast deal with the issue in the correct way rather than just trimming them back which means they grow back and the issue not actually dealt with.

I am worried about approaching Occupational Health as I do not want work to start making my time in work uncomfortable etc or be deemed unfit to work here, I am going to try citizens advice and see what they advise, I will also be getting an appointment with my GP to explain the situation also and see what they recommened medication wise until this is dealt with in the correct way

Shellc

It sounds like a mould problem I know moulds affect me severely

H256
H256
in reply to Shellc

I believe it is a mould problem

You may also like...