First up, I am an idiot 😅🙈. Monday, I decided that it was a good idea to sprint (whilst pulling a suitcase) the length of 8 train carriages and up/over/down a bridge (missed the train I was chasing by about 10 secs anyway) in the cold/damp weather... this situation was not my fault I hasten to add (thanks greater Anglia... good job 😒) but boy did my lungs shout at me for it, and they are yet to forgive me!
Since that lovely gentle jog I was needing 2 nebs (my limit) plus about 30 vent a day (and upped pred to 35 which I was not happy with 😅). Contacted my ANs Tuesday (who didn’t get back to me) then again Wednesday asking for a return call as was starting to loose my maintenance (nebs were only lasting 3hrs), and had started coughing up gunk. Spoke to an AN who told me to see GP and get them to admit me straight to AMU, as A&E super busy. Unfortunately the effort of getting to the GP dropped my PF down to 30% (which I treated with my 3rd neb in the waiting room) but GP wasn’t happy to follow the AMU plan and called an ambo.
By 5 I’m in the ambo just Nebbing and trying to explain I’ll need more than just nebs. But cause I’d reversed into the red/yellow boundary they couldn’t justify giving me hydro. Despite needing nebs basically the whole 30-40 min journey to stay around 60% (my first blue lights with the nee-naws which I feel was not needed). Then I was waiting outside in ambo on 60-90min nebs til 8.30 when they had a bed for me in majors. Still more nebs and 100 hydro which tissued half way (🤕 ouch!!!) then I was moved to the chairs waiting for medic review for admission (chairs from about 10pm-ish). Basically 2 hourly nebs through the night, on the chairs (so no sleep, having got up at 6am wed, and also no dinner as teatime was spent in ambo), stretched it to 4hrly by after my 4am, and FINALLY saw a medic at 9.30am who agreed to admission, decided to up pred to 40 and prescribe 2hrly salb nebs and 4hrly atrovent, but didn’t think I needed to escalate to anything else. 10am I managed to get some breakfast (FOOD!!!) then transferred to AMU by 10.30am.
Only on AMU for a few hours then transfer up to a surgical ward (side room 🎉🎉), and didn’t get a resp review until 6.30pm (still having not slept so 36hrs awake, on 40 pred so very teary and defo not thinking straight). Chest clear so nebs put to PRN and ‘maybe discharge tomorrow’. It took me a while to work out I basically had had a b2b neb cause my 1600 neb was an hour late then 1800 was on time. Did 4hrly nebs overnight and swapped to 2hrly vent (4 puffs) at 6am. The nurses up on surgical not happy cause start sounding terrible on exertion at the 2hr mark (and sound bad sitting at the 4hr mark).
Just seen my fav AN (yay!!!) who says the resp ward/docs aren’t happy I’m on surgical esp as I’m on level 4 and the lower severity resp ward is on level 1. She also heard the issue as had popped to smiths for shower gel. FENO up at 54 despite the pred and benra (my last one was 12... 2 days post last discharge). She wants me back on regular nebs but until a doc tells me I’m going to resist cause the regular vent is doing the job atm...
So I’m currently waiting on a bed down on resp and frustrated as I need an escalation but cause came in ‘earlier’ than I usually would (cause still show good reversibility but not great maintenance) so getting more treatment is going to be difficult (cause on the red/yellow border so not acute enough...). Am hoping I’ll see my con cause I know she’ll understand and give me what I suspect I need (a mag bag). I’m not acute enough for escalation of treatment no quibble, but also not stable enough to be discharge, so limboing on salb which is frustrating 😅. If I was at home I would not go to hosp at this level, but would have about a week before I deemed myself ‘bad enough’ (ie lost reversibility) so that I could get the meds I feel like I need...
Has anyone else had this issue? How did you get round it? So any of the severe asthmatics also feel like if the good to hosp too ‘early’ the hosp stay lengthens cause you don’t get the treatment needed without a fight? (Had I not gone Wed I probs would have been in today/tonight and got the mag bag in a&e, plus 200 hydro... but 2 days earlier so 100 hydro and nebs nebs and more nebs and I’m not bad just not good either). Also think this is my longest every wait in a&e... 14hrs actually IN majors plus a couple sat outside in ambo waiting... it was definitely a busy night for them... (at one point 115 patients and and average wait time of 5.5hrs to see a ED practitioner)
Ps apologies for the long windedness and if I’m going round in circles. Managed some sleep but interrupted... also blaming the pred!! 😅😂
Just been reviewed by resp. Not my con. ‘See how you go today and maybe release tomorrow’... he did not seem to understand that to stop me bouncing I need more treatment 🤦♀️. Oh well. I know I’m not that bad atm, and realistically wouldn’t come to hosp at this level. But suspect it’ll be a slow spiral if I am released like this until I am bad enough for escalated treatment....