Post attack advice please: Hi all So... - Asthma UK communi...

Asthma UK community forum

18,142 members22,435 posts

Post attack advice please

Ghoulette profile image

Hi all

So Tuesday i ended up going to a+e on blues and twos from my GP surgey. This is the first time it's happened. I know I grumbled about the asthma care I've received from my surgery but to be fair to them, they were brilliant.

I had been struggling for a few days and using my ventolin A LOT. My friend at work made sure I attended the surgery on Tuesday and it was there i had my first full attack. They put me straight on salbutamol nebs but couldn't stabilise me so called 999. The paramedics were amazing and gave me atrovent? And IV hydrocortisone before whisking me to a+e. When I was there i had 3 lots of ipratropium and salbutamol nebs over a period of a few hours. They kept a good eye on me eventually let me home at 2am.

So for a few hours after, I felt really quite sick. Is this normal? Also, my chest went a bit hard work breathing yesterday afternoon so took my ventolin which eased it after 4 puffs. Again, is this normal? My chest is sore, I guess from the effort and inflammation? Is this normal?

I have a GP appt booked for Friday morning on the advice of the hospital, and they also did another referral to respiratory (i saw them for the first time about a month ago).

Work have said that they don't want to see me for at least the rest of this week and to rest up.

I read on the asthma UK website about the risk of another attack in the first 2 weeks after an attack. I assume I will continue to use my blue inhaler as and when needed, and then the GP will see me on Friday. If I have to use my blue inhaler more than 10 puffs in a day, is this a red flag to get help?

Sorry, still learning.

Many thanks x

16 Replies
EmmaF91 profile image
EmmaF91Community Ambassador


Sorry to hear you ended up in hosp.

It’s normal to feel nauseous after a lot of nebulisers, especially if you aren’t used to that level of salbutamol. You may have also been having issues with the overdose of atrovent (which is the same as ipratropium) as that’s usually only given every 4hours as it’s a long acting SABA, so shouldn’t be given as b2b. Hydrocortisone is the iv version of prednisolone and some people get nausea from that too.

I’m assuming you’ve been given a course of predicolone to help calm things down (if not call your GP today for them). It’s also normal to be sore and achy after an attack as your lungs and muscles have worked overtime. I usually find warm baths can help relax everything, and if you ‘get on’ with oils a few drops of something relaxing (lavender, camomile etc) can help too (I know oils can trigger some people so do what’s best for you). If it doesn’t calm some people also get benefits from a massage/therapy to help relax/stretch/mobilise things a bit. You can get ‘backlash’ after attacks, hence the need to see a GP within 24-48 hours post discharge. This is also why kids are typically told to do a ventolin wean (I don’t know why adults aren’t told this 🤷‍♀️). Typically it can take anywhere from a day to 2 to a few weeks to fully recover (depending on level of attack, age etc etc) so see how you’re feeling when you see the GP and if needs be ask for a sick note for work for another week.

If you have to use 10 puffs in one go then you need to see your GP (or if that doesn’t calm things go back to hosp). Your ventolin should last 4 hours so if it’s not it’s also worth seeing your GP

Hope that helps

Ghoulette profile image
Ghoulette in reply to EmmaF91

That's really helpful, thank you. The nebs at hospital were given with a few hours in between as after the last one started to wear off, my breathing was hard work again so they gave me another. I got a week of preds at 40mg per day so started them yesterday.

Thank you so much for your help x

The above advice from EmmaF91 is spot on. Wishing you a speedy recovery and sending well wishes!

Ghoulette profile image
Ghoulette in reply to MrsCMK

Thank you x

Spot on Emma as always 👍🏻👏🏻

I usually feel pretty bruised and battered after being in A&E with my asthma. Be gentle with yourself and don’t expect too much too soon, your body has taken quite a shock. Hope you start to pick up again very soon.

Ghoulette profile image
Ghoulette in reply to Echoblue

Thank you. I'm a bit of a monkey for thinking I can do things, probably earlier than I should. But, I am just resting and not doing anything and I feel more tired today than yesterday so just resting. Thank you x

twinkly29 profile image
twinkly29 in reply to Ghoulette

Every time I go home from an admission I get cross with myself because I can't do what I want. I really should be used to it by now! But you're not alone in wanting to run (haha) before you can walk.

So agree with you. Can’t sit still when I can see there are things that need doing, even when I am poorly. (Mowing the lawn, wheezing, after a diagnosis of pneumonia has now become a classic example in our house of my inability to rest) One week later I was in A&E and still recovering after 2 months.

Very sound advice, i’m still learning too. Invaluable to read all the posts, hope you feel better soon, take care. Vx

Ghoulette profile image
Ghoulette in reply to Vee70

Thank you. It is definitely a steep learning curve 😏 x

Don't have much to add as far as advice, just hope you feel better and get things sorted out so you don't need to go back to the hospital 🤗

Ghoulette profile image
Ghoulette in reply to Lindeer

Thank you x

Take care of yourself. Very interesting read from EmmaF91. I had 6 nebulisers in one day (admission day) once home I was bombed I slept and just realised that I couldn't do anything even if I wanted too. I wasn't told to see my GP 24/48 hours after and I didn't know I should. Like you I'm still learning. Hope your taking things easy and doing ok?

EmmaF91 profile image
EmmaF91Community Ambassador in reply to Blue-Breeze

Ah yes. Forgot to mention how shattering attacks can be 😅. I usually describe it as your body having to run a marathon within 3 hours with no training... very tiring both mentally and physically! And usually your brain recovers first so you start to push too hard too soon! I have started ordering a complex Lego set if I’m admitted for too long cause it makes me sit still for hours/days but I feel like I’m being proactive. My standard recovery is 1-2 days of sleep, followed by lego or watching lots of tv/films for a few days 😂. It’s very frustrating but you do have to learn to listen to your body else you’ll just land up back in hospital

I'm definitely taking things easy. Didn't feel very well at all this morning but chest is ok. GP has changed my inhaler to symbicort 200 and sent me for a shed load of bloods. My peak flow at the surgery this morning hit 500 but still a bit breathy, but my pf doesn't typically drop very low. It's definitely a steep learning curve x

PF 500 that sounds good. Mine is 350/380 on a good day. It's strange how we all have different ones. Now I can see why they say don't be governed by PF but symptoms. Good your resting and GP on the case so to speak

You may also like...