Managing My Asthma...😔: I’ve suffered... - Asthma UK communi...

Asthma UK community forum
12,967 members18,579 posts

Managing My Asthma...😔

I’ve suffered with asthma since I was 1years old. I’ve learnt to live with it and generally control it well over the years. Unfortunately I suffered with Flu about 5weeks ago and my asthma has just remained really bad since. I was initially given a 7day course of amoxycilin to treat a chest infection and 5 day course of predisolone. By the 7th day I was back at the doctors after having experienced an attack at home. Doctor insisted my chest was clear, although i explained I was still coughing green phlegm everday since finishing my antibiotics. So the Doctor gave me 100 tablet course of predisolone to taper off..reducing by one tablet every three days. I was feeling better and managed 2weeks with this but then unfortunately this weekend just gone ended up at in hospital experiencing another attack. The hospital treated me with a nebuliser every 4/5hours and this really helped. They said my bloods indicated signs of an infection still and started me on a 7day course of doxycycline along with another reducing course of predisolone.

Sorry for so much information, it just feels like I’ve took two steps backwards and I’m scared as I’ve not been this bad since I was in my teens, I’m 37 now! Although I’m not short of breath I still get breathless just waking. My chest is still so tight and im just feeling very weak. Should I still be feeling so weak? I’m waiting for an appointment with the asthma clinic but just feel like my Doctor is out of there depth and will just keep saying there’s no wheeze so chest is clear. I’ve had to battle sometimes to explain to doctors that I might not be wheezy but my chest is still tight! Has anyone experienced anything similar with feeling so poorly for this length of time? I feel like being on the steriods for so long has really weakened me.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Get the hospital involved as in showing the doctors your blood test results and what they did for you to stable you. I am sincerely sorry that you are this ill. I hope you will get the answers you need.

1 like

Really feel for you as I too am experiencing a bad flare after getting chesty cough & head cold last week...I was only diagnosed with late onset asthma about a year ago & took months to get it controlled...I managed that with Fostair 200/6 but unfortunately the LABA in it caused me severe muscle & cramp problems so was changed recently too Clenil 200 with Blue reliever, this must have been too big a drop & since last week I have been on Amoxicillan,prednisolone 40mg, new Seretide inhaler from GP with Montelukast & Avamys nasal spray, a visit to A&E for nebuliser, back to GP twice today, have now got Clarithromycin & medication to use in home nebuliser which I purchased on Wednesday, have used that twice so far today but don’t really feel much better, I just seem to be breathing through a pin hole & am not producing mucous etc in cough, just don’t know hat to expect next...I hope your antibiotics kick in and help your infection, that’s what I got last year for mine but I too was on steroids for ages....I have never used a home nebuliser until today, it’s one phial 4 times a day but should I space them out or use it two & two and do I still use blue reliever with it....advise please

1 like

Yes I'm similar to you and can get a good peak flow reading even though my chest is tight.

1 like

I don't wheeze as much anymore but my lung doctor knows me well enough to treat me when I am feeling short of breath but clear to her. Be sure to eat a balance menu of food to help give you strength. I hope you feel better soon.

1 like

Totally get this. Ditto. I can have sometimes, but not always, only a little wheezing with a chest infection and very low peak flow. So I now just look at GP and say 'but I can't breath'.... and look at them with a 'you must do something' look.I wish there was more training and better procedures for GP's with patients with asthma problems as they are our first line of help when we're struggling and we don't have the lung power to have a discussion of how bad we feel.

I think writing up my new asthma plan and writing a daily log and showing it to my GP when bad might help communicate symptoms better.

2 likes

I tend to go early and say don't give me antibiotics give me rescue Pred and I give sputum sample and if and when comes back bacterial infection give me antibiotics then. In meantime give me Pred to help asthma and act as preventer as without symptoms will stay long time. Luckily GPS seem to trust my experience of my own asthma when I get an infection. Plus I'm not asking for anti biotic cos if it's viral they won't work.

1 like

You may also like...