Asthma UK community forum
12,160 members18,106 posts

Paint

Is it possible to have paint fumes affect your breathing if you can’t actually smell paint? I’ve got a chest infection and I’m on steroids/antibiotics but regardless of this I just seem to be on a continual slow decline. It gets worse in the afternoon to evening time and I’m not sure if there’s something in my room setting me off or if it’s just the infection 🤷🏻‍♀️

19 Replies
oldestnewest

100% yes they can. Paint has been a major trigger for me since I was a child. Odourless paint is just as bad. That’s not saying that it’s the problem, but I’d certainly consider it.

2 likes

I just wasn’t sure. The room was painted 5 days ago. My chest feels oddly bubbly I’m not sure how else to describe it. I have a cough but it’s not a chesty cough but I’m using my ventolin far too much at the moment and I’m not sure if it’s just a combination 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 like

Thank you :)

1 like

I’d say it’s got to be a possibility. I know paint is a nightmare for lots of asthmatics.

1 like

I react to odourless paint too. It's not as bad or dramatic as.solvent based typical paint but definitely noticeable! I also find my lungs register changes in weather or environment that I might not notice so could be that. I have a lot of flares with no obvious trigger and I tend to blame the weather! If anything those are worse than with a defined trigger.

1 like

I’m just not sure if I’m just more sensitive at the moment because I’ve got a chest infection that doesn’t seem to be improving. Think I’m just clinging onto some hope 😂

1 like

Yes I react to fresh paint, which also gives me a migraine type headache as well as worsening asthma. The chemicals in paints are strong and can cause lung problems. Ordinary paints contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are known to cause respiratory issues. Keep the windows open as much as possible to help the paint to "fume off" and spend as little time in the newly painted room as possible.

3 likes

The windows have been opened and there’s no smell (which made me think the room was fine). Unfortunately that room is my bedroom and I’ve got nowhere else to sleep at the moment 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ah yes if it is your bedroom hard to avoid! Not sure how long it takes to fume off, but if your breathing is bad you could buy an airfilter to place near to your bed. There are some which filter our chemicals and are relatively silent. Hopefully your chest infection will clear up soon and you'll cope with it better.

2 likes

Thank you, I’m hoping it’s just the infection but I’ve noticed that my breathing is harder in the afternoon. I’m not even sure if there’s a connection or if I’m clutching at straws

1 like

If you have choice in future, lime based paints are fine. Porters paints In australia offer great choices. Surely there is something similar where you live.

I smelt Cedar Oil a nasty substance common,y used for furniture and had instant terrible asthma attack last year. Locked the door and drove 600 kilometres back to Melbourne to escape then coughed night and day for 5 weeks mostly in bed as I could not stay up, until I went back on many hits of corticosteroids.

Polyunsaturated oils used to used in paints up to the end of ww2 and after that less used so decision made to promote them as foodstuffs. Eg linseed oil now labelled as flax seed oil.

I now avoid eating polyunsaturated oils, coconut oil is saturated and good for lungs and a mouth cleaner. My parents and a grandparent lived to a hundred healthy intelligent and active and never used polyunsaturated oils.

1 like

Absolutely! I cannot go anywhere near anything that has been painted. Even the slightest exposure to it can leave me literally fighting for every breath and ill for months at a time. It’s not necessarily about the things you can smell, it’s also about the things you cannot smell.

1 like

Yep without a doubt. Had a decorator two weeks ago and still having trouble he used odourless paint and I'm still coughing and wheezing. Have used all the old fashion remedies such as cut onions, fill sinks and bowls with water you name it and Windows and doors wide open to rid the smell. Apart from moving out for a few weeks I'm stuck. Need more decorating doing but debating whether to do it now and continue to cough or wait a while and start over again?? The strange thing is I love the smell also cut grass smell but my chest says no. If you have any tips to rid smell will be grateful. My mum suffered for years with her chest and I'm heading down that road too they were her remedies as she was a fab decorator.😁

2 likes

I was part of a Yahoo group for a while many of whom had chemical sensitivites and some of them used charcoal filters. Not quite sure how they wrok though! Yup I've used the cut onions and it helps for smells in small doses in the same way baking powder absorbs smells in the fridge. But a whole room is much harder. Some plants are good at absorbing certain chemicals over time, but again nothing that works quickly or on paints. Sorry you are effected. If your mum has any remedies which work do let us know.

1 like

Burning a couple of nightlights I find good to deal with smells, but must be odourless....I use Price’s...available on Amazon.

Will try the nightlights too thankyou. Still coughing.😁

The answer is absolutely YES.

Once the body has learned to identify a particular substance as a trigger; it will not matter if it's in odourless form... an Immune response can still occur.

2 likes

Paint does trigger my asthma along with loads of other stuff

1 like

Should have written them down there was many. Pure wool round your wrists for arthritic pain always wear vests to keep you back warm if chesty. Keep your feet warm wear socks and you will be warm everywhere. White vinegar for most things, antiseptic, cleaning. Sugar and soap for drawing abscesses or infection of skin. Many products you can't buy now like borax and honey for sore throats and infection. Linctus squilly opiates medicine for chest cough can only buy simple Linctus or codeine linctus have tried to buy. I'm smiling now will ask my sister if she remembers any too. They had no nhs when they were kids cost sixpence for a Dr so they made do. Might try baking powder in water that could help she believed that did lots of things too. Thanks for the trip down memory lane 😁

1 like

You may also like...