Asthma UK community forum
10,656 members17,111 posts

what is an asthma attack?

Hi again. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an asthma attack? People say it's when you can't breathe properly, which I understand, but they often talk of your chest being tight. Is it like when you have a chest infection, and all the mucus is stopping you breathing properly, so you sound like a coffee machine? Because that's what I have when I get chest infections, and I sound horrible. My chest felt heavy last time, and I could feel that my nemk was funny, like it sounded funny, straining itself to work properly. If you know what I mean. My salamol didn't help either, when I used it, I was still wheazing and sounding like a coffee machine.

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Samantha , chest infections and asthma are two different things with different causes , but they can be linked .

I think my asthma is fairly typical so I will describe what happens when I have an attack .

The first thing I notice is that I am short of breath and start puffing when I shouldn't . This is often accompanied by an audible wheeze and can then escalate into real difficulty in breathing . At this point it is usual to start coughing up phlegm and continue doing so after the attack is over . This coughing can be severe to the point of choking . During an attack your lung capacity is reduced and this will show if you test your peak flow . Personly I have not experienced what I would call a tightening of the chest , but I guess different people have different ways of describing things .

Hope this helps .

Hi, I find that to me, attacks vary . I am known to have ongoing symptoms which lead to a big attack, which if I feel tight chested/short of breath and coughy then I’ll make a soon appt with gp. This is what I usually go by if Symptoms start but aren’t affecting day to day life as bad as an attack. If you’re worried at all about what’s happening /taking a lot of blue puffs then phone for medical help / at least phone nhs 111 who , if need be will send you an ambulance.

I am not worried, just new to everything and want to know about it that's all. I'm asking a lot about bronchiectasis too, as they think I have that too.

You may also like...