Very frightening experience

Hi, I am a 38 year old woman with no previous asthma/allergies/hayfever anything. I had a cold that left me with a cough that I couldn't shift. Long story of Drs trips etc later I had to call an ambulance and went to hospital where I had an attack for 14 hours - that time I came round to a good cough and was fine. 3 days of obs , nil by mouth, scans and medication later I had another one this time leading to a day in critical care. Extremely frightening and feel very alone, lost and frightened for the future. Docs have treated me for a chest infection and I am on nebs, steroids and oxygen but get very nervous when I cough and feel I don't trust myself to make judgements on my own breathing.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi how frightening for you, that's awful. Are they doing any tests to find out what the problem is? Have you had a peak and flow test (asthma) or a spirometry (copd)? If not you need to insist they investigate.

• Thanks for replying. I tore a hole (inside) during coughing so I think they would like that to heal first. I had started to do peak flow tests before the second attack though and they were low but going up. I was apparently quite manic during the attack and the gases in my blood went crazy. I have never heard of spirometry or copd and neither of those things have been mentioned by my doctors.

• Hi 1a2l3e4s

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are feeling alone and frightened. There's information about the tests mentioned on the thread here: bit.ly/2sm3ro1

If you would like more advice and support then please feel free to give our nurses team a ring on 0300 222 5800 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Take care,

Dita

• Thank you. I have never posted to a forum before but feel the need to reach out so as not to feel so alone. Thank you for the information I will have a good read.

• What a frightening experience you have had, it must have been awful for you.

I hope your medical team manage to come up with tests and treatment plans for the future.

Take care.

• Thank you. I hope so too.

You may also like...