Any advice much appreciated!

Hi everyone, I'm still not used to the asthma diagnosis, I don't get to see a nurse but I do get to see an amazing consultant about 2-3 times a year depending on how I am. I have a sensitivity to steroids and can only take 50mcgs and I am currently having issues with my sinuses, (does anyone else have sinus with asthma issues?) anyway I have had to see an ENT consultant and I have to go for a CT scan as they are not sure if it's my nasal passage that's inflamed or polyps, as I can't be treated with steroid nasal sprays due to a bad reaction I have been told to get a sinus rinse as it may help, I've picked up a NeilMed one from the chemist, I was wondering if any of you have used one and did it help? I'm feeling a little down this week,I think I've picked up a cold and I'm pretty sure you all know how it feels when you already have issues πŸ˜” Currently in bed as not much sleep last night, today is the coughing etc..etc...

any advice would be fantastic πŸ‘ Thanks all x

6 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hi Matilda1, sorry you are having such a tough time, when it's tough it's really tough. I have used the NeilMed kit myself although I was/still am using steroid nasal spray. I did find it helpful particularly for the coughing. Although at first I had to use it about 4 times daily. Hope you get some relief take care P.

• I have sinus issues but mine are allergy related I can actually sneeze blood but increase in anti histamines (I take fexofenadine 180 mg daily but can take up to 3) and after a few days it goes away (unless I don't increase the anti histamine then it lingers)

• Neil Med, really does help, but its a bit of a faff to get use to. I would say persevere with it. It takes a while to start having an effect, and don't nasal rinse too close to bedtime, thats a disaster. Its also worth using an antihistamine, if you aren't already.

Good luck

R

• Thank you for your replies 😊 Going to give the Neil med a go, I'm sensitive to all medications and so I can't have antihistamines too,it's so tricky.I have noted about not doing the rinse too close to bedtime πŸ‘

Thanks again

• My mum has the same sinus issue, and is allergic to steroids. Her conditions worsens when the grass is mowed then it slowly back to normal. Neil Med might be a good relief

Good Luck!!

• Sorry you are in the cycle yes we all go through it at various points in our lives. I live in pollen central so it's a series of skirmishes in a protracted 3 month war every spring, yes sinus, nose, hayfever, astma - check all of the above.

A dentist of all people gave me this sinus trick years ago and I'm generally much better controlled than my peer group: Sudafed and Ibuprofen. The mixture to helps tamp down the sinus inflamation. These days I take 1 Sudafed PE (phenylephrine) and Ibuprofen 200 mg every four hours, starting first thing on the morning if my itchy nose detects a bad pollen day brewing. (for me the actual allergy peaks around 4pm but if I get ahead of the curve it's much better. Fighting it off once you are deep in the quicksand is much harder).

Throw in a few chlortrimetons and then of course your astma stuff and good to go. The Sudafed PE takes time to work, so important to take every 4 hours even if you're winning. A lot of days I'll just take one Ibu with the first and keep going with PE - the PE is very mild for me and does not make me jumpy like Psuedoephedrine. Big fan of Qnasl and Qvar - note that corticosteroids are quite personal and if you find one you respond to well you might only need a very low dose. Keep switching until you find it.

I have a belief which I can't prove that tamping down the sinus and nose issues helps the asthma.

You may also like...